Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 16-07-14, 14:09

I did find out that my next door neighbour was a 2nd cousin of my friend who lives opposite us. Neither knew of each other and it was only through me doing both their trees that we made the connection. The connection was from Peckham in South East London and we are now in Surrey about 16 miles from there!

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 16-07-14, 14:44

Interesting reading. In my case, only one that I know of - Sarah (lozaras) on here, who is my fifth cousin once removed. I suspect I may be related to my ex-housemate's girlfriend (now wife), since the surname she shares with my great-grandmother is one which originates from a particular village - but since I don't really know her that well I've thought it better not to ask.
Old 16-07-14, 19:01
Administrator

As a third generation NZer the chances of running into anyone more remote than a third cousin must be pretty unlikely. I did work with someone who turned out to be a third cousin. In another role, one of my colleagues is married to my fifth cousin, we only worked that out as we share a very uncommon surname. I have not met her yet!

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 16-07-14, 19:15
Administrator

We don't know whether the results would be the same if a similar study were to be carried out in the UK, NZ, or Australia. Or even if it were carried out in the US but looking at African-Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
The findings could not be explained by people tending to make friends with members of the same ethnic group as the heart study overwhelmingly involved Americans of European ancestry, the scientists said.
And I'm not convinced that you can lump all "Americans of European ancestry" together as one "ethnic group". There are certainly states, counties and cities which have a predominance of people whose ancestors (mostly) came from one particular country, for instance there will be a lot of people with Irish roots in one city or suburb, Germans in another, and so on, so of course it would be likely that many of their friends would share their heritage.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-07-14, 01:33

I have often thought I would find out that someone I know will turn out to be related to me ! So far I have only found that some distant cousins lived in the street where we lived - and we may well have lived there at the same time, but the Electoral Rolls only go up to 1980. Privacy laws make it difficult to find a current relative unless they are looking too, but so far no-one I know has found me.

I think there is probably a good chance that my husband and I share several strands of DNA - we both have family from around Wokingham in Berkshire, although there is so far no evidence that they ever intermarried, also from around Taunton in Somerset, Buxted in Sussex and around Glasgow in Scotland.

The rest our ancestors came from nearly every other county in between and Ireland too.
Old 18-07-14, 14:13

OH and I are not related, that I have found, but we do have distant relatives in common but are on different sides of the tree.

That is all that I have found.
Old 18-07-14, 16:14

My elder daughter and her husband are half 7th cousins.
Old 18-07-14, 16:27

OH and I are probably related way back as both his mother's paternal ancestors and my paternal grandmother's ancestors came from smallish neighbouring villages in the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire. I haven't found a definite connection yet though. Hard to find the correct ancestors when one is Evans & the other is Jones!

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 21-07-14, 22:09

The forebears of both my mother and of my friend who lives up the road have been in the village where we live since the 1830's. Our two extended families are connected as her widowed gt-gdmother married my gt-uncle. Whilst we are not related, we do have relatives in common (descendants of the marriage) who are shared acquaintances of both of us.
When our mothers were children and living in the village, they each had several schoolfriends who were also first or second cousins.

Jay
Old 22-07-14, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley Vale Sue View Post
Hard to find the correct ancestors when one is Evans & the other is Jones!
Tell my about it - my father's grandfathers had the surnames Jones and Hughes, and they married a pair of sisters named Evans! Just to cap that, FFF and the two sisters (FFM and FMM) both had a mother whose maiden name was Jones - so my 2g-grandparents on that side (only six in total due to the cousin marriage) are three separate Joneses, plus Hughes, Evans and Lewis