Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 04-04-11, 10:28
Administrator

It could still do with something to tie it all together, though, such as a will.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-04-11, 11:09
tenterfieldjulie

Is the place to look for wills on FMP - the Death Duty Register?
Or would Huddersfield & District FHS have them? Of the museum site you found?
I bought wills and indentures in Bucks and Herts from their County Councils.
Old 04-04-11, 12:19
Administrator

The Index to Death Duty Registers on FMP shows you whether there was a will (or estate that went to administration) but the actual will would be at a record office. The Index to Death Duty Registers can make it quick to find out whether there was a will or not, if you have the date of death (though it is organised by year of probate, not of death) but it can mean searching through loads of different pages, especially early on, so it's not always the best way. There are some Yorkshire wills indexed on British Origins and I know some are held at the Borthwick Institute in York. The Launds Inn Museum site does say they have some wills, so it might well be worth contacting them to ask.

Old 04-04-11, 12:50
tenterfieldjulie

Many thanks Kate I will look further into the wills. Perusing all you found a few questions. There were supposedly two boys George and Robert baptised 8 Jul 1787 and then died 30 Aug 1787. Do you think they are two boys or should it be George Robert, because it is unusual that they are both buried on the same day?
I recall the occupation white piece maker, but I can't remember if it is to do with weaving or pottery? I would have thought weaving?
I looked at the baptisms of the Pogson children in the 1841 Census, the two missing - Henry died 1824 and Jane died 1830. So the Farson family including Edwin/Edward is definitely the Pugson family. (The confusion with the occupation Mason could be that Matthew Pugson was a stone mason from Prestwich, cum Oldham)
Old 04-04-11, 14:08
Administrator

I think George and Robert are two boys. It would be unlikely they would be listed separately on both the baptisms and the burials by mistake.

I keep meaning to Google for "Ing" but don't get round to it for some reason. I will have a go now, and see if I find anything more that way.

Old 04-04-11, 14:15
Administrator

No, that was a waste of time!

Old 05-04-11, 06:27

Does this help Julie?

Whitster
Various processes culminated in weaving on a loom.
The cotton cloth so produced is known as 'grey cloth', although the colour is more like
a creamy white until further processing.

To remove all the impurities, such as cotton seed, shell, and natutural waxes, together
with the residue of other applications, further treatment had to be given.
A Whitster did this as a service for the Hand Loom Weaver in the early days by dipping and possing (or stirring) the cloth into containers of liquid bleach (caustic).

Later, when the industry became mechanised, the term Bleacher was more used as the actual process was done by machines. Bleaching, by either method, would produce white cloth as a final result. This removal of impurities was necessary before dying the cloth to the required colours.

from Old Occupations website
Old 05-04-11, 12:36
tenterfieldjulie

Ooh that is great Val many thanks.
It would have been fairly dangerous using caustic acid and the smell would have been terrible. Later generations were weavers which was a big step up.

Tags
to3g21