Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-10-09, 12:24
Administrator

Have you got the original image for 1911 ? Just wondered if it was mistranscribed or anything & is a complete red herring lol!

Joanie
Old 02-10-09, 12:28
Administrator

Oh yes, I've got the original image, and he has definitely written Arthur Race on it. Also he is listed as Arthur Rice in the Sussex Kelly's Directory.

Good idea about the bankruptcy check, I'll see if I can find anything. Although if he had been declared bankrupt I suppose he wouldn't have needed a false name? But he could have been made bankrupt afterwards?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-10-09, 12:49
Administrator

I was just thinking it's possible he is Owen but mistranscribed elsewhere. Would there be a reason for them to move to Sussex? It will be easier(and cheaper!) to search when 1911 goes on subs on FMP as I think at the moment it is not easy to find anyone on there lol!

Joanie
Old 02-10-09, 14:07
Administrator

That's what I was thinking too, Joan. My 2xg-grandmother Elizabeth died later in 1911 at 27 Russell Square and her death was registered by one of her other sons, but I suppose I'd like to know whether to think of her dying in the bosom of her family or in an impersonal boarding house!

Edit many years later - I don't want to bump this thread up, but want to add in the following info in case anyone else is interested:
1912 and 1913 electoral rolls have Arthur Race at 27 Russell Square, Brighton. He has gone by 1915.
1921 electoral roll has a George and Mary Bristow at 42 Hungerford Road, Islington, then in 1922 they are replaced by Frederick and Marian Bristow. On the 1925 e roll Frederick and Marian Bristow are at 393 New North Road, Islington.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update