Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 03-06-19, 22:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr236rk View Post
Thank you, am a member of Hants Libraries. Wonder if there are any bells & whistles I am not using for FMP or indeed Ancestry, that I can access through Hants? I have basic memberships with FMP & Ancestry.
Yes, ask a Hants librarian to show you how to use their library subscriptions to those sites.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-06-19, 00:29

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Yes, ask a Hants librarian to show you how to use their library subscriptions to those sites.
Will do thank you.
Old 04-06-19, 07:02
Administrator

Quote:
Wow thanks, that's a new surname to me! :-o

Also BULLOCK 1648 (Derbyshire) (See Robert Dawson ARITF)

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

There's more here too: "Ayres, Barber, Barney, Bellows, Blake, Boswell, Bowers, Broadway, Bullock, ... Ayres, Ballam, Bowring, Brewer, Bridle, Broadway, Bryer, Buckland, Bullock, ... " Probably red herrings though.

https://rtfhs.org.uk/publications/gypsy-families/

Have this family on census (attached) hope you can view it - have to make images quite small for the forum to upload them. Look at this, ridiculous, my grandfather who died 12 years before I was even born, aged 3! It makes my head spin
I searched that Celtic Traveller list for the first 16 surnames I have on my tree going back to all my 2xg-grandparents and only two of those surnames were not on that list, yet I don't have any traveller families as far as I can tell (having the majority of my lines a lot further back than 2xg)! So yes, to some extent potential red herrings.

Please don't worry with posting up census images on here for others to see. I only typed out the census details from the image because I didn't know if you would have access to the image!! Usually we just post a link to the page on here if the person asking has a sub to Ancestry or FMP and they can see the images at home.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-06-19, 07:28

With any brickwall, it is helpful to look at the sort of surname you have. There are roughly four groups:
first name: eg Powell, Jackson
locality: eg Hill, Lancaster
nickname: eg Whitehead, Gotobed

We all want (but alas cannot choose!) the last sort of name as they probably all originate from the same ancestor.

It is worth looking at surname distribution maps. Even with common names, they can be more densely clustered in some parts of the country. Travellers, of course, defy all those rules by their nature.

I have Bullocks in my tree in Norfolk, but know there are apparently unrelated Bullocks in Surrey. It is so widespread that I suspect it is generally an occupational name, rather than a nickname.
Old 04-06-19, 07:58
Administrator

Quote:
Many thanks,

KEMP, A 1208 Private 6Bn. Middlesex Regt. Mdx. Regt.
KEMP, A 3430 Pvte Loyal N Lancashire Fusiliers WO100 Lanc. Fus.
KEMP, A 5194 Private 17th Lancers Brit. Cavalry J-L
KEMP, A 5194 Pvte 17th (Duke of Cambridge's Own) Lancers QSAs
KEMP, A 5194 Private 17th Lancers 17th Lancers
KEMP, A 6136 Private Loyal North Lancashire Regt. LNLancs.

KEMP, A Army Service Corps 2nd ABW Australians
KEMP, A Frontier Light Horse Frontier Light Horse
KEMP, A Midland Mounted Rifles Midland Mounted Rifles
KEMP, A Cathcart Dist Mounted Trp WO100/280 Cathcart DMT

The Middlesex result looks the most promising, others are cavalry, that would not match my father's recollection of Arthur's parade story, where men were 'marching'. Doubt if North Lancs would be relevant for southeast Britain musters? Still others have no service numbers & are probably overseas units - so not relevant either please?
I used FMP to find more on A Kemp service number 1208 and discovered he was named Alfred Kemp and was born about 1882 in Hoxton, so not the right man!

3430 is Alexander Kemp b 1879, Aldershot
6136 is Ernest Albert Kemp b 1880 Ticehurst Sussex

I can't find the full record for 5194 at the moment.... will keep looking for a while.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-06-19, 08:02
Administrator

Re 5194

There is a Philip Camp who has that service number, and on some of his service record (on FMP) his surname has been amended from Kemp. However, he was in the Suffolk regiment and was recorded as serving in Burma 1900-1902, so unlikely to be the one in SA. Just detailing him here in case he pops up again!

Old 04-06-19, 08:25
Administrator

The only other place I can find 5194 is in Ancestry's UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949

Name: A Kemp (Pte)
Service Date: 1899-1902
Service Place: South Africa
Campaign or Service: South Africa - Second Boer War
Regiment or Unit Name: 17th Lancers
Regimental Number: 5194

This man was awarded the South Africa medal with clasps for Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Wittebergen and Cape Colony.

Again, annoyingly, no first name listed.

Old 04-06-19, 13:42

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Please don't worry with posting up census images on here for others to see. I only typed out the census details from the image because I didn't know if you would have access to the image!! Usually we just post a link to the page on here if the person asking has a sub to Ancestry or FMP and they can see the images at home.
Thank you.

The Traveller interest is by way of what was said to my grandmother about her 'true religion', no-one knew what this meant. I am hoping the dna test might give an insight.
Old 04-06-19, 13:52

Post East Kents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
The only other place I can find 5194 is in Ancestry's UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949

Name: A Kemp (Pte)
Service Date: 1899-1902
Service Place: South Africa
Campaign or Service: South Africa - Second Boer War
Regiment or Unit Name: 17th Lancers
Regimental Number: 5194

This man was awarded the South Africa medal with clasps for Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Wittebergen and Cape Colony.

Again, annoyingly, no first name listed.
Many thanks - what a bewildering line I have! :-o

There's no horse lore in the family as far as I am aware, if my grandfather had been cavalry his son would almost certainly have known about it. My father's half-brother George KEMP was given Arthur KEMP's diary that he'd kept during his time in South Africa. Sadly, there is no connection with that side of the family now - never has been. My father lamented the diary going to the step-side of the family but that was that.

My parents always thought Arthur had been in the East Kents (Regiment) - but there is no A. Kemp listed here.

https://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-in...-kent-regiment

Last edited by kr236rk; 04-06-19 at 13:56. Reason: add
Old 04-06-19, 14:44
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you.

The Traveller interest is by way of what was said to my grandmother about her 'true religion', no-one knew what this meant. I am hoping the dna test might give an insight.
Your grandmother was Louisa Mary Innell who married Arthur Kemp? (just checking).