Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 04-12-09, 09:48
Administrator

Default Robert Salter Bristow

This is going to be a long one! The main thing missing is 1881 and 1911 census entries but he was most likely at sea, perhaps on a foreign-registered vessel.

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Robert Salter Bristow
Date and place of birth 8th October 1862 at Elmers End, Beckenham, Kent. His original birth certificate said Elmore End but he had it corrected on the 4th March 1912; I haven't found out why yet. Nor have I found out what his mother was doing at Elmers End!
Names of parents John Bristow and Elizabeth Mary nee Ferrier
Date and place of baptism - 16 November 1862 St John, Penge, Surrey. Again, I don't know why he was baptised there
Details of each of his or her marriages - 3rd October 1899 married Alice Queenie Brown at Hampstead Register Office. Witnesses George H Bryant and Benjamin Single Hill
Occupation(s) - worked his way up from mariner to Master Mariner. The index to the Captains' Register of Lloyds of London suggests he became a Master Mariner in 1902 but he is listed as a captain on the 1901 census.
Military service - not exactly, but he was a Master Mariner in the Merchant Navy during WW1
Addresses where they lived - 1871 census - 279 High Street, Pancras, London
1881 census - not found, presumably at sea
1887 67 Ellerdale Street, Lewisham
1891 - 17 Bingfield Street, Islington
1891 Scottish census - second mate on the "Gannet", lat 53 deg 25 ' N long 0 deg 49' E
1894 - 51 Richmond Road, Islington
1899 - gave address on marriage certificate as 25 Haverstock Hill, Hampstead, but this was his brother's address
1901 census - 31 Hornsey Road, Islington, with "wife" Jessie and children
1908 onwards - 79 Mildenhall Road, Lower Clapton, London
1911 census - not found, presumably at sea

Date, place and cause of death 30th September 1917 the "Heron" was torpedoed and sunk in the Bay of Biscay 500 miles W. of Belle Ile by the German submarine U 90 whilst on a voyage from Tyne to Oporto with a cargo of coal. 22 lost including Master.
Date and place of burial / cremation None as he died at sea. .
Details of will / administration of their estate - probate granted 15th December 1917 to Reginald Charles Hassett, gross value of estate £397-1-5, net value nil.
Memorial inscription - Memorial is the Tower Hill Memorial, south side of garden of Trinity Square, London

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-12-09, 09:59
Administrator

Is Jessie 'another woman' then? *confused* lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-12-09, 10:10
Administrator

Yes, I didn't want to go into all the details as it was long enough already. As far as I know, he was never married to Jessie. Well, actually since he lived with her before he married Queenie, I suppose Queenie was really the "other woman".

Old 04-12-09, 10:56
borobabs

I knew a Albert Bristow born London who lived up here till he went back down south to daughters near the end and died back down there, worked out he would have been born about 1915 era or slighly more ;;but dont know anything about his fathers name as I wasnt into trees 22 yrs ago ;;;
Old 04-12-09, 11:34
Administrator

Bristow is a very common name, Babs.

Old 04-12-09, 11:38
borobabs

Oh well if I find any more info regards him will let you know ,,I do know his wifes maiden name just carnt remember it at mo ;; his son was Ronald and carnt rmember daughters name yet ;;
Old 08-12-16, 11:47
Administrator

Wow, this is weird.
Carlisle Grammar School Memorial Register:
1876 Register of Boys: Bristow, Robert Salter (adm Aug 4) born Oct 8, 1862, son of Mr John Bristow, clerk, Kentish Town, London, ward of Rev Alfred Hobson, C. of St James, Carlisle. Left c Xmas 1877. Entered the service of the General Steam Navigation Co, Ltd, of London, 1887. In command of SS Heron.

What on earth was the connection with the Rev Alfred Hobson, and why was Robert his ward while both his parents were still alive, and both compos mentis as far as I know, though admittedly separated from each other?

I have found the probate entry for Rev Alfred Hobson which says he died 7 Jul 1880 in Bath. His estate was very small so I don't suppose Robert would be mentioned in the will but I might order it just in case.
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/19...nSearchResults

The GRO index shows he was age 48 at death, so this must be him in 1871:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/76...cklabel=Return
No 201 Richmond Rd, Hackney
Alfred Hobson Head Unm 39 School Master Somt Bath
Anne Sister Unm 33 No Occupation Middx Camden Town
Henry Smith Cousin Unm 17 Do Somt Bath
Edith Huggins Servt Unm 25 General Domestic Servant Do

In 1861 he is also a schoolmaster, in Newington, Surrey, and his sister is a teacher too:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...cklabel=Return

In 1851 he is with his parents in Walcot, Bath (well, of course he would live there if I am looking at him this week!) and his occupation is "Goldsmith's Ap":
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/88...cklabel=Return
This is definitely him as brother George is an Artists Ap, and one of his executors was George Hobson teacher of drawing... the brother.

Not sure when he became a Reverend, but I imagine he taught Robert in London / Surrey before they both went up to Carlisle.

Neither of Robert's brothers is listed in the Carlisle Grammar School Memorial Register.

Old 08-12-16, 13:42
Administrator

Oooh, is this the info you got from The Genealogist? Very interesting, especially when you think you probably have all there is on a relative.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-12-16, 13:50
Administrator

Alfred Hobson was admitted to holy orders in May 1875 and took at the curacy at Carlisle at that date. (reported Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 27 May 1875)

Old 08-12-16, 14:11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Oooh, is this the info you got from The Genealogist? Very interesting, especially when you think you probably have all there is on a relative.
Yes, it is. A big surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Alfred Hobson was admitted to holy orders in May 1875 and took at the curacy at Carlisle at that date. (reported Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 27 May 1875)
Thanks for that, Merry. I looked at Crockford's Clerical Directory of 1874 and he wasn't listed in that, but then the next one they had on ancestry was 1885, and he doesn't come up on Crockford's site but perhaps it isn't complete yet. Ditto the British Clergy Database.

Tags
togg4