Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Two 5xGreat-Grandparents

Old 21-10-16, 00:05

Default Abigail Bulwer / Rudston / Thornton (FFFFFMM)

Name - Abigail Bulwer (or Bulwere)
Date and place of birth: ca. 1660 - 70, Yorkshire
Names of parents: Thomas Bulwer (or Bulwere or Bulwire), Esq. of Whitgift. Mother's name uncertain, but a note written by my father 50 years ago says her name was Betty Tomlinson.
Date and place of baptism - ??
Details of each of his or her marriages - (i) Robert Rudston of York, draper; (ii) Re. William Thornton, Rector of Birkin
Occupation(s) - (parson's wife)
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - Whitgift, then York, then Birkin, Yorkshire.
Date, place and cause of death: ?? Birkin, Yorkshire, ca. 1710 - 1720
Date and place of burial: probably Birkin
Details of will / administration of their estate - n/a
Memorial inscription: ??

This is a link to her portrait ca 1697:

http://artuk.org/discover/artworks/a...hornton-130168

Hunter's 'Familiae Minorum Gentium vol. I' edited by John Clay, published 1894, on page 140, shows Abigail as one of 3 sisters:

- Martha, married Rev. Peter Robinson in 1680. Records from St. John's College, Cambridge say that she died in 1699 and was buried on August 9th at St. Maurice, York

- Sibil married Rev. John Thomlinson. The marriage took place in January 1691/2 in York Minster.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS...arriages1.html

- Abigail, with details as summarized above.

Abigail had at least two children: a daughter, Elizabeth Thornton (1790 - 1783), and a son, who became a Portugal merchant and died in Devon ca. 1770. I have seen indications that his name might have been Robert, or possibly John.

More information about her and her son would be of interest. I plan to set up a thread on the 6 G-GF forum for her father.

tpb