Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 16-07-17, 11:39

IT'S HERE!!!

Word of advice, click through all the advertising stuff until you get to the receipt, then click "order now" to get the download link. I wasn't the only one going bonkers with frustration because we didn't realise we had to do that.

UPDATE: Once downloaded it took a long time to open, panicked me a bit.
And so I'm now a co-pilot! No idea what that means, but I'm sure it's something important. *puffs out chest*

Last edited by Terri; 16-07-17 at 12:13.
Old 18-07-17, 00:02

I got my email overnight. I have to go out so wont do anything until later. Thanks for the tips Terri.

Well done on being a co-pilot.

So the order now is for those who have pre-ordered?
Old 18-07-17, 05:34

I now have FTM 2017!!

The download started at 47 minutes, quickly went down to 6 minutes, then up to 12, back to 7, 6, then 2. The last 2 minutes took forever. Just a warning.

The install was a little scary as I clicked to install and nothing seemed to happen, then it all went fairly easily until point 4, which is wanting to connect to familysearch, not my ancestry account (which I think may have been point 3 but as the fields were populated I missed it). I decided to look at that later. I'm not sure what value I will get from it and I do not want to upload my tree to familysearch (or ancestry for that matter).

I'd already backed up all my files on ftm2014 so they were all there. So far I've only converted 1 file to ftm2017, which is my smallest. Baby steps.

It all looks basically the same, except for the colour thing. All my direct ancestors now are colour coded, which is very pretty but might get old very soon.

Does anyone have any idea what else is new?
Old 19-07-17, 08:21

Not sure what is actually new. Tbh, if you read some of the posts on the Family Tree Maker fb page - the "experts" on there discuss features I've never even heard of, and put up screen shots of awfully complicated looking features that I've never seen. But in my case, I had FTM 2012 before this upgrade and I was merely adding ancestors and their associated data (and I now know I wasn't even doing that correctly!) so ftm 2017 is a learning curve for me. I do intend to be a bit more adventurous with it!
Old 19-07-17, 08:43

The only things I can see are the colour coding and a new photo editor which looks ok but I haven't done a lot with it.

Apparently there are a lot of new features for those who sync their trees to ancestry. I don't but am considering it now as you can set options so your tree can not be found in a search, so it is totally private.

I had ftm12 but did upgrade to ftm14 so the culture shock is in the past for me but yell if you want help.
Old 19-07-17, 15:37

Thanks Toni. I am really enjoying using it so far, even if I am only playing at the moment. It looks slightly different to my 2012 version, but I can't put my finger on what is different.
Old 22-07-17, 17:17

Forget the last post, I am now in a mess! Got into such a muddle, I unlinked my tree from Ancestry and decided to sort it out on FTM.

Mistake! Had a right kerfuffle just getting one census page via Websearch, and now ................. well where is it??? Fed up.

Last edited by Terri; 22-07-17 at 17:20.
Old 23-07-17, 12:36

Try live chat and see if they can help.

Not having sync'd yet I'm not much use. There is also a FB FTM group so they might be able to help, some of them seem to have a lot of experience.
Old 23-07-17, 20:12

Sorted it now, or at least I know what I'm doing now.
But, I've come to realise that my tree is in such a mess, that I've started again ...... eek!

Just a case of moving all the people onto a new tree and then getting all the sources and media sorted out properly this time.

The people on the FTM facebook are amazingly helpful. I'd never have sorted it out without them.
Old 28-07-17, 23:49

That is good news and yes, they are very helpful.

There is also a FB group called Genealogy start over or something similar. I'm a member but haven't really worked out what they do but it might be worth a look.