Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-01-15, 19:32

Default Abbreviation in marriage records

The first image is from a marriage register and I was puzzled by what it says after George Theyer, especially compared to the Widr and Br on the lines immediately above and below.

The second image is the allegation and it has what may be the same abbreviation. I think it says joyner &BC. Does anyone know exactly what it means ? I wondered if B was for bachelor and C was for citizen ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (40.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (37.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 29-01-15, 20:32

I agree that it is the same abbreviation: there is another abt three pages on in the marriages. What it is, tho'?

I wondered Volunteer, but I'm not sure that that makes sense.
Old 29-01-15, 20:38

You might be a Joiner and Polisher, but that surely isn't a condition at marriage?
Old 29-01-15, 20:56

Looking at that page in the marriage register you mentioned the curly character I mistook for a C appears after B, Sp and Wid - so it just seems to abbreviating those words.

Last edited by Rick; 29-01-15 at 20:58.
Old 29-01-15, 20:58

Et cetera is my guess
Old 29-01-15, 21:55
Administrator

In the first image, after the name George Theyer it is Wd with the d being a superscript and underlined.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 29-01-15, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
In the first image, after the name George Theyer it is Wd with the d being a superscript and underlined.
That's what I first thought Kate, but I must say I've now changed my mind. The marriage licence says that bride and groom are 21. George was born on 19 Aug 1724 and was apprenticed to his father for 7 years on 23 Aug 1738. One of the conditions of the indenture is that he would not contract matrimony. The marriage licence says he was a bachelor and was issued on the day of the marriage - 27 Aug 1745.

I'd be interested to know what you think it says after Elizabeth Pitts and if the the final character resembles the one you think is a d in Wd. Also in comparison to the marriages of Joseph Wonnicott and William Brawne on image 54 (both bride and groom's abbreviations).
Old 29-01-15, 22:21
Administrator

After Elizabeth Pitts I would say it is Spr with the r superscript and underlined but not very clear. It looks similar to how they often wrote Esqr after a man's name.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean about image 54 - I was just looking at the clips that you posted up.

Old 29-01-15, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
After Elizabeth Pitts I would say it is Spr with the r superscript and underlined but not very clear. It looks similar to how they often wrote Esqr after a man's name.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean about image 54 - I was just looking at the clips that you posted up.
Sorry - I'm looking at the Ancestry image Phoenix was talking about. Here's the link.....http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16..._A102322-00055

What's going through my mind is these look like BTs - all written neatly and in one hand. But there's a difference in how bachelor, spinster and widower are abbreviated - sometimes with a superscript r and sometimes with the curly character - perhaps reflecting how they were written on the original register.
Old 30-01-15, 07:46
Administrator

Yes, I see what you mean. There are some unusual B's on that page now I can see it in full. So the letter after George Theyer must be one of those too.