Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-11-09, 19:38
Chrissie Smiff

Default 1851 an impossible challenge?

This family are either not on the census or very badly transcribed but I would welcome anyone else who would be kind enough to have a go at trying to find them. They were gypsies but seemed to spend most of their time in Derbyshire/South Yorkshire. I have them in 1861 and 1871 after the mothers death. I am desperate to find them in 1851 though, hoping to find out where the mother was born.

William Heaps b c1805 born Crich Derbyshire or Selston Notts (according to 1861 and 1871 census)

His wife b c1805 Lignum Vita Heaps (always mistranscribed) - NO idea where (that's why I need to find the census as she died 13/6/1860)

KNOWN children - very likely others as well -

Nicholas Heaps Baptised 17th April 1835 in the Chapley? at Baslow Derbyshire – abode given as Snelston

George Heaps Baptised 3rd May 1840 at Corringham – Lincolnshire

Millicent Heaps Baptised 28th June 1846 as Milly Tranaunt Heaps at Laughton En Le Morthen, Yorkshire

Eliza Heaps Baptised 14th April 1850 in the Parish of Whitwell, Derbyshire – abode Snelston Peake Derbyshire.

If anyone can find them you will be my friend for life and I'll buy you an orange at Christmas (as my mum used to say)
Old 02-11-09, 20:25
Administrator

I can't see them in 1851, but if you were to get the maiden name of the mum that might help pin her down if you are very lucky!

This looks like Eliza's birth reg:

Births Jun 1850
Heaps Eliza Worksop 15 737

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-11-09, 20:28
Administrator

Is this them?

WILLIAM HEAP
Male Family
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: LIQUONITE REUEL
Marriage: 19 JAN 1829 Snelston, Derby, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-11-09, 20:41
Chrissie Smiff

There didn't seem to be any birth regs Merry - only Baptisms. I shall have to try for that one.

Yes Merry - that's the marriage. The only trouble is that I feel pretty sure they have mistranscribed her first name (she is Lignavitre on her death cert and Ligna Vita on most of the baptisms. Also, my grandmother Millicent named one of her children Ligna Vita, presumably after her mother. Also, when you look at the original, I think they have guessed at Reuel. It's very faint and it could be Reuel, but it also be Beach or a dozen other things. I can't find any baptism records for Ligna Vita anything, anywhere. I just thought the 1851 would give me a clue.

Thanks for trying
Old 02-11-09, 20:50
Administrator

Fingers crossed that birth reg gives you another stab at Reuel!!

Old 02-11-09, 20:56
Chrissie Smiff

Thanks Merry Hope the postal strike ends soon