Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 09-11-21, 08:33

Default Searching by parish

I've been trying to find baptisms in Horley, Surrey in the early 1600s. The surname is subject to huge variations, compounded by understandable mistranscriptions.

If I search by parish, I only get IGI results. I have to widen the search to county before any of the results appear.

Does Ancestry do this for all counties? It's bad enough that they have very little understanding of English place names, but it should have been easy enough to provide a parish tag. It leads inexperienced searchers into all sorts of errors and obscures valid results.
Old 09-11-21, 08:54

FMP has nearly 10,500 results for St Bartholomew, Horley, over 2,000 of which are for the dates between 1600 and 1680.
Old 09-11-21, 09:22
Administrator

I went to Ancestry, Surrey, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812

and entered Horley in the Keywords box, Baptism in the Event Type dropdown box and (to save looking at all sorts of dates), Any Event, 1610 +/- 10 years (362 matches), 1630 +/- 10 (371 matches) and so on. For 1600-1680 the total was just under 1500, so fewer than FMP, but still quite a lot!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010