Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 06-12-16, 16:54

Default What FH software are you using?

I've used Generations (previously called Reunion) for about 20 years. It's the only FH program I've used & is no longer produced.

I recently got a Windows 10 laptop but it seems Generations isn't compatible as quite a lot of the functionality doesn't work so my tree remains on my (quite old & XP) PC.

What software are you using? Any recommendations? What do you like about the software you use?

Thanks
Old 06-12-16, 17:06

I've got Family Historian, and I really like it. It is easy to use, but lots of additional features for those who want them. When I started I used PAF (Personal Ancestral File), which was free from Family Search, but it was very limited.
Old 06-12-16, 17:19
Administrator

I use Brother's Keeper and have done so for around 20 years.

It works fine with Windows 10

The individual who wrote the program (John Steed) still does all the updates and welcomes comments and suggestions for improvements. I don't know how much longer that will continue as he must be getting on a bit.

I like the program because it is very stable and does what I need it to do.

It would take something really drastic to make me switch to something else!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 06-12-16, 17:56
Administrator

Sorry to be boring, but I use FTM, just because I'm used to it. I have also got My Heritage Family Tree Builder because it can read in an FTM file and convert it to upload to a tree on My Heritage website which I can then invite family members to view or edit, and they don't need to pay a sub to the site. I don't know whether you can do this with the free version.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-12-16, 08:49

Until last year I used FTM. There were some things I disliked about it, so when Ancestry announced they would be ceasing support (just before they sold it to MacKiev) I looked around and started to use Family Historian.

The problem is that while I like FH I can't quite bring myself to give up FTM. I like different things about each program - at the moment I'm entering anything I find into both.

Sooner or later I'll have to make a decision!
Old 07-12-16, 10:24

I use FTM only because I can synch any changes from my ancestry tree easily and produce reports and charts etc. However ancestry sub expires in Jan.

I've loaded up many of my different trees onto tribalpages so can share with others but now my sub has expired on several of them many of the features are unavailable until I pay again which I don't want to at the minute.
Old 07-12-16, 17:54

I have an Ancestry sub but have used Roots Magic v5 for about four years as a back up, loading it with a gedcom file from Ancestry. My Ancestry sub renews in February and I've been wondering about not continuing with it. So, I have been playing more with the RM5 and finding it rather good - it does everything that I could imagine. I'm taking the precaution of downloading some images from Ancestry and putting them into RM5 in case I don't renew the sub and the images are not available to me. Also, there is now a Roots Magic v7! Is that worth the upgrade?
Old 07-12-16, 22:47

Thanks for everyone's input.

Some of the software you are using i've heard of & some I haven't.

I'd rather not change as i'm so used to what I do & not sure eveything I like about it i'll be able to find on another program.

I'll have a look at what others are using & see if I can find something similar to Generations.
Old 14-12-16, 10:23

Jay,

I used to use Generations many years ago, and when I wanted to change, TWR (a soft ware company dealing in Family Tree Programmes) suggested I change to Family Historian, as it was the closest to Generations. I bought it and have now had it for 10 years,prefering it to Generations. You can try the TWR website, as they explain all the Family History Programmes on there. Their prices are very competitive, with a very helpful after service, which I have used. Family Historian also has a members' site where you can ask any questions and obtain further information.

Janet

Last edited by Janet Chiltern Borders; 14-12-16 at 10:28.
Old 14-12-16, 16:15

Thanks for your input Janet, good to hear your prefer FH to Generations.

I'm going to download a 30 day trial of Family Historian after the New Year & hopefully will find the things I like about Generations & more on there.

Did you import your tree from Generations to FH? Did you have any problems with it?