Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 03-02-23, 15:22

Woohoo! Got an email today saying my sample has arrived.
Old 03-02-23, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn the Forest Fan View Post
Woohoo! Got an email today saying my sample has arrived.
That's good news, Lynn!

Daughter's sample arrived 13th January but still no indication that they have started to process it.

*Drums fingers*
Old 03-02-23, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
That's good news, Lynn!

Daughter's sample arrived 13th January but still no indication that they have started to process it.

*Drums fingers*

Excellent news, Lynn!

Elizabeth, under details, Ancestry say sample processing is in progress for the sample I've submitted. It arrived 26th January.
Old 03-02-23, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Excellent news, Lynn!

Elizabeth, under details, Ancestry say sample processing is in progress for the sample I've submitted. It arrived 26th January.
There must be method in their madness, or vice versa!
Old 04-02-23, 07:25

I was wondering how your samples were coming along. It is going to be a long 6 -8 weeks!
Old 04-02-23, 08:28

I contacted Live Chat yesterday evening and they are going to enquire whether our sample is being processed yet.
Old 08-02-23, 21:47

Default DNA testing saga!

This is a long saga.

I contacted Ancestry via Live Chat on Friday afternoon. The chap told me he thought they had started processing the sample but said he'd ask for an update and I should hear within 48 hours.

I still hadn't heard anything by yesterday so I contacted Live Chat again.
The chap I was in communication didn't seem to be able to write very good English and it was very confused.
"Elizabeth, I'm very sorry about the delay. I can see here that the [name's] DNA was received and the lab started the process. They will start processing very soon. I will send a status update to the lab right now."

On looking back at the first Live Chat transcript, that is exactly the same wording!

Then I have had an email this evening:

"Through review, the shipment containing this sample is currently held up at Customs. Our Lab believes it should arrive within 1-3 business days. Rest assured, we will send an e-mail updates once your sample is already in process at the lab. We apologize for the delay.

We hope this helps. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope you have a great day!"

At this point, my patience was wearing thin! I send them an email by return and then received the following:

"In relation to your query, as you can see in your account : DNA - DNA summary results- 1 order in progress, the sample was received on the 13 of January, for some insight into the posting of your sample back to us, it is first sent to our holding facility where the samples are sorted and sanitized before getting shipped to our lab. This is why it can take quite some time before you get an update on the status of your sample. As soon as it arrives, you will be notified by email and for every step of the processing. There will be an estimated ready time for your results at the end of the DNA kit status bar on your DNA homepage when we start to process the sample.
The processing period can take between 6-8 weeks.

A status update request was created and the team from the lab sent you an email:

" Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regards to your AncestryDNA status. We regret not getting back to you sooner but we're happy to help you.

Through review, the shipment containing this sample is currently held up at Customs. Our Lab believes it should arrive within 1-3 business days. Rest assured, we will send an e-mail updates once your sample is already in process at the lab. We apologize for the delay." id from the Lab team."

The lab team will notify you as soon as the sample starts processing at the lab. "

The whole thing is absolutely bonkers!

I also received a non-personal email earlier today:

"Lab processing is taking a bit longer than usual

Due to high demand, our lab needs a little extra time to process your test. We are sorry for the delay, but rest assured — your DNA kit has been received. We are working diligently to deliver your results, and we will send you an email once processing begins. Thank you for your patience!"
Old 09-02-23, 15:12

So when it says they have received it, that doesn't mean at the lab? How confusing!
Old 09-02-23, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn the Forest Fan View Post
So when it says they have received it, that doesn't mean at the lab? How confusing!
I don't think they know themselves half the time, Lynn.

That's the first time I've heard of a "holding facility".
Old 09-02-23, 16:38

Kit activated
Dec 16
Sample received
Jan 26
Sample processing
Feb 9
DNA extracted
In Progress
DNA analysed
Est. date: Mar 2
Results ready