Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 28-01-19, 07:39
Administrator

Default Surprising ethnicity results?

We had expected OH's results to show about 50% Spanish and our children to be about 25% Spanish.

Instead, OH's shows 7% and our children about 5%.

OH's father was from Barcelona and though we don't have his tree going back very many generations, there was no movement from that area for the time span we have covered. We do know for certain that OH's father was his biological father, thanks to the results of a DNA test required for OH to have the correct father's name put on his birth certificate (long story and several other threads here about that!).

OH's results show a higher percentage for France (32% - but no known ancestors from France), our son's results show 8% France and our daughter's 0% France.

OH was reading an Ancestry forum where many people were complaining that their Spanish ancestry didn't show up anywhere (or that it had switched from Spain to France recently), but no one seemed to have an explanation.

Any idea why this would be?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-01-19, 09:46
Administrator

I'm guessing that either they haven't got enough Spanish data to use for comparison yet, or that there was ancient migration from France to Spain.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 28-01-19, 10:36
Administrator

Oooh, good, that's exactly what I said, but he never wants to believe what I have to say! Thanks Kate.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-01-19, 11:25
maggie_4_7

Not hard to imagine Barcelona is right near the border and Marseille is just up the coast across the bay.
Old 28-01-19, 13:39
Administrator

No, I agree, but I think we were expecting Spanish/North African (Moors/Berbers) rather than Parisienne!

Old 28-01-19, 15:34
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
No, I agree, but I think we were expecting Spanish/North African (Moors/Berbers) rather than Parisienne!
They all ended up in Gozo, Malta and the other Med islands.