Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 03-02-19, 10:44

One thing that is bugging me: I wish Ancestry would indicate that you have sent a message to someone.

I am recording mine on a spreadsheet, but it would be easier if you could see it on Ancestry.
Old 03-02-19, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
One thing that is bugging me: I wish Ancestry would indicate that you have sent a message to someone.

I am recording mine on a spreadsheet, but it would be easier if you could see it on Ancestry.
It does show in your sent messages so you can always double check there.
Old 03-02-19, 11:12

Quote:

You could add a note on each match that you message. You can then click on a little icon that pops up next to the name on your main list to see the note without having to open the record.

And I think messages from your matches show when you view the match.
Old 03-02-19, 11:15

I've found a 9.1cM across 1 segment link to what would be a half 6th cousin on a line that we've always had a big brickwall on but circumstantial evidence suggests 5xGGfather may have been illegitimate. There is some very strong circumstantial evidence which would otherwise be very big coincidences that the theory could be correct, but this adds a lot of strength to it. It is also on the one line where I share a lot of DNA with a 3rd cousin (101cM) suggesting I've possibly inherited more on that line than others. Just need to get round my mother to test to confirm its her side.
Old 03-02-19, 11:20

Thanks, Nicki and Sue. I have located where to find them.
Old 03-02-19, 11:20

Kite - your comprehensive post focussed my mind and I think I can narrow my new Jewish ancestor down to a couple of candidates from the same family! Thankyou.

I found another tree containing the same very unusual name and from there have deduced that the new name for my tree is Raphael and have now found 9 other matches containing the same family. I believe that the line is connected to my father's maternal line which narrows it down slightly but I may message you later for an opinion...

Thanks again
Old 03-02-19, 11:39
Administrator

That's good, Sue.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-02-19, 21:55

Quote:

I'm doing the spreadsheet option too. There is a notes facility but it has limited text.

I also wish you could search the list by user name so it is easier to find someone you have looked at before rather than guessing what page number they were on.
Old 04-02-19, 07:27

The surname search is proving really useful.
Old 04-02-19, 17:52

I really wish Ancestry would show 5-8th cousin shared matches for 4-6th cousins. I have picked up via Gedmatch, as I missed it trawling through Ancestry matches because the person has the wrong maiden name for what is probably my 3xGGfather's youngest sister, a 4th cousin and his daughter. Trouble is I can't see if any of my slightly closer matches on that line match them at all as they are most likely going to be at the 5-8th cousin level according to Ancestry, which many of them show against me although not accurate they are 4th cousins a lot of them. Instead it means I've got to message the person to see and I have a horrible feeling I stuck a slightly rude comment on her tree a few years ago suggesting that if she bothered to purchase a birth certificate for her direct ancestor she would find out the correct mother's maiden name. She still hasn't as she's updated the Ancestry tree since she posted to gedmatch with a completely incorrect surname. If she had bothered to search through the GRO online birth index for her ancestor and some of the younger siblings she would know she was wrong.

I hope she doesn't remember my sarcy remark which has been removed. I would really love to know if she matches any of my other matches on that line as it would confirm my research as to the origins of my 3xGGfather beyond any doubt. Paper trail suggests it, this would confirm it and 4th cousin match with her father would be correct.