Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 25-02-15, 09:48
Administrator

That's unacceptable, especially as the site is run by the Imperial War Museum which people would probably assume was trustworthy.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-02-15, 10:02
Administrator

I'm not very impressed by their "life story" of Merchant Navy Seaman Charles Algernon Fryatt (in the same email) as it contains hardly any information and barely makes sense.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-02-15, 10:19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I'm not very impressed by their "life story" of Merchant Navy Seaman Charles Algernon Fryatt (in the same email) as it contains hardly any information and barely makes sense.
His Wikipedia entry explains it much better:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Fryatt

You would think the Lives of the First World War email would at least point out that there was no legal basis for the Germans court-martialling him and that it caused outrage!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 25-02-15, 10:48
Administrator

I looked my great-grandfather up on the site to see what exactly they show for his "life story" and it only has the following, taken from the new database:

War Work: Merchant Navy Added by Imperial War Museums
Surname: Bristow Added by Imperial War Museums
First names: Robert Salter Added by Imperial War Museums

(just to clarify - they only have an index to the Merchant Navy medal index cards and if you want to view the image, you have to pay to download it from TNA, but I can't see mention of that in the email.)

Old 25-02-15, 11:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
His Wikipedia entry explains it much better:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Fryatt

You would think the Lives of the First World War email would at least point out that there was no legal basis for the Germans court-martialling him and that it caused outrage!
Exactly!

Old 25-02-15, 20:55

I think they are trying to offer something different to 'just' records. I am sure the business case for funding talked about user-generated content, engaging different audiences, a unique selling point in the online heritage environment etc. I am uncomfortable with the ease with which unverified or inaccurate information could be linked and perpetuated. All of which makes me sound a bit cheerless - I applaud the idea of a new approach and the genuine attempt to connect people with historical material in a new way. I just think someone new to chronicling their family history would get more from Ancestry or FMP.
Old 18-02-19, 23:12
Administrator

I've just received an email which says:

The Lives of the First World War website will be closed from 12.01am on Tuesday 19 March 2019.

We will not be able to accept any further contributions of material after this time. We encourage you to read our FAQs for further details. All Lives of the First World War URLs will be redirected temporarily to a holding page, until we launch the permanent digital memorial on iwm.org.uk in June 2019.