Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 31-01-19, 10:28

Default I have the grumps

Several years ago someone claimed my 2g grandfather as their own. I could live with that if anything else matched after his birth ie wife, children, what country he lived in. I understand why they picked him as I honestly can't find them an alternative either. But they are still wrong and I still mutter (loudly) under my breath about it.

Today I just discovered someone has claimed my 3g grandmother, her husband and children. Different line to 2g grandfather. I was a little bit excited as I have no contacts for this branch and she was a difficult woman to unravel. This new person has even posted photos of her and her son online!!

However, they too, are wrong.

The worst thing is FMP have most of the parish records online for this family so no certificates are needed. To top it all off they don't even have my 2g grandma listed as a child and I'm a bit partial to her as she also proved rather difficult to sort out so I spent more time on her than I do most people.
Old 31-01-19, 21:04

There is a lady who claimed OH's 4g grandfather as hers too. Even though in every census, the birthplace of son that she claims descent from is quite different from the rest of the family.

But I cannot really convince her that she has the wrong man. Even after I sent her a copy of the (hers) son's second marriage certificate which clearly shows a different father, and a different occupation for said father.

The real son died unmarried in a railway accident and its was extensively reported at the time, and I sent her the reports too, but since the death cert, I have only received one email saying she will have to "re-visit" the person in question.

Now another person in her family has asked about our GEDMatch Kit (DNA) numbers as she would like to see if there is a match - I'd be most surprised if there was.

Di
Old 01-02-19, 10:45

I've done a bit more research into the case as I didn't have much information on the son that they claim descent from. His marriage and children they have correctly, it is the mother's name and marriage that is incorrect. They also do not seem to know that the son changed his surname and yet they have his date of birth. The marriage they have for my 3g grandmother means that she would have been 15 at the time of her marriage, when she was actually 28.

I think they have worked backwards from what they know and then taken a few uneducated leaps regarding my 3g grans origins. It sounds like the unmarried children has been hushed up, hence the errors.

So maybe, just maybe, the photo is a photo of my 3g grandmother! It would have been taken the year before she died.