Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 11-01-19, 13:44

Default Ancestry DNA Hints

I manage Best Mate's tree.
She has DNA matches that link to specific ancestors.
I can work out who they are, and they come down to her on her tree, which is public.
So why does she have no DNA hints?

NB For privacy, near relatives do not have their real names or any data to identify them.
Old 11-01-19, 15:45
Administrator

Do they actually have the shared ancestors in their trees, or have you worked back from the furthest generations in their trees to figure it out? Also, silly question, but is your friend's DNA test "linked" to her own tree?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-01-19, 16:09

There's a close cousin (10 surnames showing in common) who is not in a dna circle with her, nor showing DNA hints.

When I get home, I'll check that the tree is correctly linked. All the mutual ancestors are obvious and showing.
Old 12-01-19, 05:43

The other people have to have their trees linked to their DNA profile too, to be Ancestry Hints.
Dad has 15 ancestry hints but over 300 matches.
He has lots of "unlinked trees", which you can look at with a sub. Some of the linked trees only have 5 or 6 people, all of them private as living, and totally useless.
Likewise, DNA circles only work on linked trees.
I have been working my way through the ancestry hints trees and adding to my database, offline. Then I will start on the useful unlinked trees.

Di
Old 12-01-19, 07:34

I have triaged the 25k matches, and reduced them to under 2k. Now I am going through them more closely, and producing a personal database to manipulate the information. The questions I want answered will lie amongst distant, rather than close relations, so I can't ignore the 6cM matches.
Old 12-01-19, 10:54

I was directed to a Facebook page "Genetic Genealogy Tips & Techniques" It's a closed group but is easy to join.

It's used by a lot of professional genealogists but they seem to enjoy helping beginners like us. Personally I found it all a bit confusing - there's a lot of talk about cMs etc but there are some great tools in the files page to help sort your matches.

I'm trying to get my head round one called the Leeds Color Clustering method https://www.danaleeds.com/leeds-method-dna/ A lot of people on the FB page have had great results with it.
Old 16-01-19, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
I was directed to a Facebook page "Genetic Genealogy Tips & Techniques" It's a closed group but is easy to join.

It's used by a lot of professional genealogists but they seem to enjoy helping beginners like us. Personally I found it all a bit confusing - there's a lot of talk about cMs etc but there are some great tools in the files page to help sort your matches.

I'm trying to get my head round one called the Leeds Color Clustering method https://www.danaleeds.com/leeds-method-dna/ A lot of people on the FB page have had great results with it.
I tried out the Leeds method and found it very useful.

If you use an Excel spreadsheet, you can hide the columns and rows as you work, so I just put in all of Dad's DNA matches, although it is recommended to do only those less than 400cms.

Most of the 4th-6th cousin matches, as well as Dad, matched at least one other of his matches so I was able to locate them in a family. Some of the others, I worked out by looking at their online trees.

My daughters colour chart is much more even than Dads, his is overly populated on the paternal line, but hers is spread more evenly between her four grandparents families. Dad has only one match, a person we already know, on his mothers paternal line - not one other person in all the Ancestry world has a match with both of them.

If anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like, I am happy to post a copy.

Di
Old 12-01-19, 13:19

Aargh. The original method I thought of, then abandoned as I had too many colours. But it does depend on having close matches.
Old 12-01-19, 13:29

That was my issue Phoenix - I only have seven 2nd or 3rd cousin matches and five of those are from the same family and I know the relationship. I have just posted on the FB page I mentioned to see if anyone had tips. I'll let you know if they come up with anything!
Old 12-01-19, 14:05

Another problem I have (well, one of several) is that the database is not static.
One of my "hub" matches has withdrawn a test she manages. A new match is now connecting to lots of others.