Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-10-21, 13:03
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I am pretty confused by this whole thread, but if the woman in the photo is in the garden of a house on another road, not Alexandra Road, wouldn't there be two roads between her and the house behind her?
No only one, the one in front of number 13 Alexandra Road, the back garden wall boundary of 23 or 25 Denmark Road went to Alexandra Road itself giving the view of number 13 Alexandra Road from their back garden.
Old 19-10-21, 13:03
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Oooh, that Short family from Denmark Road say four living children in 1911, bt only three sons in the hosue. Same on prev two censuses.

BUT they had a daughter in 1895 - Dorothy May Short - DMS!! She is a neice in 1901 and a pupil in 1911 and never with her parents.

Well done.
Old 19-10-21, 13:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I am pretty confused by this whole thread, but if the woman in the photo is in the garden of a house on another road, not Alexandra Road, wouldn't there be two roads between her and the house behind her?

I think we are all agreed that there were two plots of land on AR not built on. I had assumed they would 'belong to one of the hosues on either side - ie numbers 16 or 22. However, it's been pointed out () that another alternative is that a house on Denmark Road might have not just it's own back garden, but also the land behind that, which would be the land inbetween 16 and 22 Alexander Road (or part of that land, the part closer to 16 Alexander Road)

EDIT - As Maggie has already said!!!

I do like the idea of Dorothy May Short being DMS. If the photo was taken in 1913 then she would be 18 years old.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-10-21, 13:11
Administrator

And she married Benjamin S Clark in 1916. Wasn't it a Clark who built that big house?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-10-21, 13:17
Administrator

lol BSC! Benjamin Sidney Clark

Old 19-10-21, 13:24
maggie_4_7

Quote:
And she married Benjamin S Clark in 1916. Wasn't it a Clark who built that big house?
Quote:
lol BSC! Benjamin Sidney Clark
Not sure about house build but well done on names.
Old 19-10-21, 13:29
Administrator

Back at the start there was talk of some stately home, South Lake House? Google said it was built by someone called Clark (prob not this Benjamin who was a biscuit manufacturer living in Wokingham in 1939), and the photos were found in his outhouse, or at least an outhouse at South Lake House.

Wasn't Huntley and Palmer at reading? My g-g-grandfather worked for them in the 1890s. Sorry, I'm off on a tangent!

Old 19-10-21, 13:31
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwacket View Post
No Maggie
It was known as the Southlake Estate, or just Southlake. In Woodley, which was a village but is now all part of Reading. I looked last night for more details without success…. As said earlier there were some huge family country estates which got divided, subdivided etc. The family name, at the time, was Clark.
Quote:
Back at the start there was talk of some stately home, South Lake House? Google said it was built by someone called Clark (prob not this Benjamin who was a biscuit manufacturer living in Wokingham in 1939), and the photos were found in his outhouse, or at least an outhouse at South Lake House.

Wasn't Huntley and Palmer at reading? My g-g-grandfather worked for them in the 1890s. Sorry, I'm off on a tangent!

Yes see Dorothy's post.

William Short on 1911 at 23 is a biscuit manufacturer.
Old 19-10-21, 13:33
Administrator

Haha!! BSC died at South Lake House in 1965 << Edit - no, he didn't die there, but he was 'of South Lake House, Woodley'

Old 19-10-21, 13:42
Administrator

Ben Clark, chairman of the education committee and owner of Woodley Hill House, Earley and South Lake House, Woodley:

https://old.woodleyhilloldboys.org.u...l_history.html