Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 21-04-18, 11:47
tenterfieldjulie

Default Boram/Boreham of Moreton, Ongar, Essex

Hi Everyone,
I have started looking for a friend's family.
I am very rusty at this and my conclusions may be not correct.
My friend's mother was a Boram for Moreton, Ongar in Essex.
I have been able to find some information, but I am not quite sure where the best sources are for records for Essex and would appreciate suggestions please.
I have found Census information and FreeBDM records but would like to be more accurate.
I have found the marriage of Frederick Boram and Lily Pettit at Ongar in Essex in 1897, but not viewed the record. They are direct ancestors.
Fred was born C 1868 and his parents are William Boram/Borham/Boreham and Susannah. I thought I had their marriage at Camberwell in 1859, but there is a choice of grooms and according to a family search newspaper article (which I haven't viewed) her groom is another man.
A further generation back, I believe I have found William, birth C1838, on the census, with his father James, who married Eliza Ann White 1843 Ongar, Essex, next children born approx 1844, 47, 49,50, 51,56 from Census.
If anyone can view that marriage, it may clarify if it says James is a widower when he married Eliza.
James was a Sawyer/Carpenter, as was William, who is listed in 1906 Kelly's as a carpenter from Moreton, Essex.
James I believe was born C1810-12 in Moreton, Essex but I have not found his parents.
Many thanks for your assistance. Julie
Old 21-04-18, 14:27
Administrator

Quote:
Fred was born C 1868 and his parents are William Boram/Borham/Boreham and Susannah. I thought I had their marriage at Camberwell in 1859, but there is a choice of grooms and according to a family search newspaper article (which I haven't viewed) her groom is another man.
If this is Fred's birth reg:

BORHAM, FREDERICK mmn WHITBREAD
GRO Reference: 1868 S Quarter in ONGAR Volume 04A Page 103

Then this looks like their marriage, but William the father has a 'new' surname - White - and Boreham as his middle name!!

Marriages Dec 1859
Whitbread Susannah Ongar 4a 109
White William Boreham Ongar 4a 109

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-04-18, 14:29
Administrator

Now I've read the next part of your post:

Quote:
A further generation back, I believe I have found William, birth C1838, on the census, with his father James, who married Eliza Ann White 1843 Ongar, Essex, next children born approx 1844, 47, 49,50, 51,56 from Census.
....I see White isn't a new name! Isn't it likely Eliza Ann White is the mother of William, but James Boreham might not be his father?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-04-18, 14:43
Administrator

In 1841 James Boreham aged 20 is listed with Jane Boreham aged 70 and Henry Boreham aged 15, in Moreton.

A few pages on is this White family:

James White 60 carpenter Yes
Sarah White 60 Yes
Elizabeth White 30 Yes
Eliza White 20 Yes
William White 3 Yes

I'm thinking Eliza and William are the ones you want.

Old 21-04-18, 21:36
tenterfieldjulie

Merry you are amazing to unravel that. Many thanks.
I checked BDM and Sep Q 1837 ref 12 117 both William Ongar and William White are registered!!
Would he have been re-registered later, or would he also have been registered in his father's name too as they weren't married? Thanks.

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 21-04-18 at 21:49.
Old 21-04-18, 21:51
Administrator

He would only have been registered once but indexed under both surnames.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 21-04-18, 23:42
tenterfieldjulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
He would only have been registered once but indexed under both surnames.
Thanks Kate. Would that be because they weren't married?
Old 22-04-18, 07:06
Administrator

I also thought there was a double index entry in 1837, but in fact the Boram entry has a mmn (something beginning with P, I've forgotten now!), so I think it's just a coincidence the two entries are on the same GRO page number and they relate to two different children - William Boram, a child of married parents (so not your man) and William White, the child of Eliza White (assuming she had him registered - it's possible there was more than one illegitimate William White born around the same time in the same area!).

Old 22-04-18, 10:05
tenterfieldjulie

Merry can you tell me where can I view the 1843 marriage image of of James Boreham and Eliza White?
I would also like to see the image of the 1804 marriage of James Boreham and Jane Pavitt. On freereg I saw this marriage and it has their ages as 34 and 35 and I am wondering if it was an transcription error?
Old 22-04-18, 10:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
Merry can you tell me where can I view the 1843 marriage image of of James Boreham and Eliza White?
FreeBMD has a "Postem" added for that marriage:
08/02/2014 At the parish church, Moreton, Essex (after banns) on 7 Feb 1843 James Boreham, 30, bachelor to Eliza Ann White, 30, spinster.

The image is on SEAX:
https://secureweb1.essexcc.gov.uk/Se...aspx?ID=445091
(image no 7 if the link doesn't take you to it)
But you have to pay a sub to view it any bigger. I think we can more or less decipher most of it from the small free copy on there though: both resident at Moreton, his occupation sawyer, his father James Boreham (I can't make out the occupation at the moment), hers James White, carpenter, witnesses Samuel White and Jane White.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update