Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 17-04-18, 22:15

Default FMP synched with Family Historian

I have Family Historian and I think I have mentioned before I get hints.

For example, underneath a name in my tree in a circle I get a number. If I click on it I get hints from FMP and also links to My Heritage matches.

Some of the hints can be stupid. The usual scenario, a marriage long after the person has died etc.

However, it can be very useful.

I have two sisters in my tree - Mary Jane Jackson and Emma Jackson, sisters of my great-grandmother Ellen.

Mary Jane married John Mayor in 1867. They had two children, John Henry and Sophia. However, Mary Jane died in 1878. Then Emma obviously went to help out with the children and she is with John Mayor after that.

I was idly looking at the hints and an Isle of Man marriage kept popping up, so I clicked on it.

First name(s) John
Last name Mayor
Sex Male
Marital status Widowed
Marriage year 1885
Marriage date 24 Sep 1885
Marriage place Douglas
Parish St George
Denomination Anglican
Spouse's first name(s) Emma
Spouse's last name Jackson
Spouse's sex Female
Spouse's marital status Single
Father's first name(s) James
Father's last name Mayor
Spouse's father's first name(s) Henry
Spouse's father's last name Jackson
County Isle of Man
Country Isle of Man
Source Isle of Man Marriages 1598-1950

So they obviously popped over to the Isle of Man where no-one knew them to marry, as it would have been illegal to marry in England. I don't know if it was a legal marriage in the Isle of Man.

I don't think I would have found this myself, so it was a very welcome discovery!
Old 18-04-18, 03:26

This leaves me multiply envious, Elizabeth. I had not paid attention to Family Historian, but looking at the customer reviews it seems to be very good software. Plus I don't think I ever realized FMP could synch with any such program. And you've found an unexpected answer on the Isle of Man where I myself have annoyingly unanswered questions. Maybe some day I'll get lucky too.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 18-04-18, 10:19

I had a breakthrough on my tree thanks to FMP hints on FH.

My 3xgreat-grandfather appeared in London in his late 40s and married a much younger woman. I always suspected he'd been married before, but couldn't find any evidence.

Then a FMP hint for a marriage licence popped up - not something I'd ever have looked for, as according to the marriage record he married by banns. The licence confirmed that he was indeed a widower, and from that I was able to tie him in to his first family at the other end of the country with a reasonable degree of confidence (he had a fairly unusual name).

As you say, Elizabeth, sometimes the hints are useless, but occasionally they can really help.
Old 26-04-18, 22:40

I have an acquaintance who was brought up by her dead mother's twin sister. She didn't realize this until her father died and she found two marriage certs two years apart, apparently to the same woman (Mary and May). The local registrar we interested enough to investigate this and discovered that Mary died in childbirth and he married May. He must have thought it was illegal although by then it wasn't, so all the secrecy was pointless.

OC