Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-07-20, 07:04

Default Passenger lists from france to america

hi , I am looking for a passenger Francois alcouffe , on a liner to america . One of my Husbands french ancestors , says that Francois was in america when he was 20 as a locksmith , when he was called up for rrecruitment in the RODEZ army Aveyron . I've looked at a few passenger lists but as yet haven't found him . I do not know how old he would have been when he travelled . But he was born in 1875'in Villefranche de Rouergue . I have found a few other Passengers with the same surname but as yet not him . They seem to have emigrated to California . Any help with this search would be gratefully received.thanks
Old 05-07-20, 07:51
Administrator

Here's a thread with some earlier info so we know who we are looking for. Begin at post #23:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...=alcouffe+1875

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-07-20, 10:10
Administrator

Ancestry has lists of people arriving in America but I can't find him on those with a date range of 1875-1900.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-07-20, 10:19
Administrator

Gabriel Alcouffe born about 1885 and Celestin Alcouffe born about 1881 are in San Francisco on the 1910 US census, both tanners born in France. Gabriel's year of immigration is shown as 1887 and Celestin's as 1885. They aren't in Crawfie's list of Francois's siblings on the other thread (post #47).

Old 05-07-20, 10:21
Administrator

There is a family tree on Ancestry showing Gabriel and Celestin as children of Jean Pierre Alcouffe and Rosalie Cazer:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...=successSource

So it looks as though they are not connected with Francois.

Old 05-07-20, 11:43

Alcouffe Marcellin François born the 29th may of 1875 in Villefranche, canton of Villefranche, departement of Aveyron, residant in America, occupation of locksmith, son of François and Boutonnet Victoire Julienne, domiciled in Villefranche.

Draw number 122 in canton of Villefranche - registration number 813

There is no physical reporting because he didn't respond to the military service, he was in America.

He was summoned by the route order n°2 the 1st december of 1896, he had a time limit of 6 months.

He was declared unruly (I don't know is it the right word for "insoumis" which defined mens who didn't go to the army or to the war) the 1st june of 1897.

He had his return declaration the 16 june of 1897 in front of France Consulate in Lourenço-Marquez (city of Mozambique, today Maputo) and beneficied of amnesty law of 1st april of 1904.

He wad amnestied because he had not much time to have his service and his repatriation would be too expensive.

The 16th june of 1904, he resided in Lourenço-Marquez in Mozambique.

The 8th november of 1907, he resided in Nairoldi Britioh East Africa, consular agency of France in la Mombasa (Kenya).

The 29 juin 1911, he resided in Kampala in Uganda.

He was called to the 1st World War for the 14 august of 1914 but he didn't rejoin army. His regiment signaled him absent only the 8 august of 1916. He was declared unruly the 11 august 1916.

He was exempted of military exercises because he was abroad except from Europe. A distant relative of francois 's has translated his military record for me and the above is what was written . So Francois never was in the army , but was in america , and east africa . it looks like he got away with going in at all . what a surprise!
Old 05-07-20, 14:13

I think the word , the relative was looking for insoumis ,was Draft dodger . in english .lol
Old 05-07-20, 15:45
Administrator

There is information about passenger lists from France to America on here, but it seems there is not much available:

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...nd_Immigration

Old 06-07-20, 06:25

hi , yes i saw the page , it's difficult to find a lot ,as i think if he left france for america , he would have gone frim somewhere like marseille and not le Havre . i'll keep on looking i found quite a few alcouffes but not him . There are all kinds of possibilities .I want to try also to find out when he arrived back in France . as he died in Marseille but we don't know if he was living there for a while or not . also what became of his son Franck emile marcel , is he alive if so where is he . my mother in law ,had a phone call from a gentleman who was asking about her husband and said he was his brother , she told him her husband had passed away .it could have been Him . I don't know if there are sites with up to date info . for France .
Old 06-07-20, 06:35

I've tried searching for him and it comes up with this liste Liste officielle ... des prisonniers de guerre français : d'après les renseignements fournis par l'autorité militaire allemande : nom, date et lieu de naissance, unité / Centre ... - Gallica - BnF
10 Jan 2011 · II B. Alcouffe (Marcel), 20-7-11, Toulouse, cap., Post. ... IV B. André (Edouard), 15-10-07, Si- Sauveur, iro cl., 248" R.L SU IV B. André (Emile), i4-4-o5, Haraucourl, cap., 147° R.I.F. St ... I think this is stalag , And the list is for around 1941 Franck would have been around 25 , but we have no way of knowing if it was him are not .
Missing: find ?| Must include: find