Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Four 6xGreat-Grandparents

Old 21-11-15, 10:51

Default Jane Capron

Mother of Jane Pratt

Husband of Henry Pratt

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Jane Capron
Date and place of birth
abt 1684, Tillington, Sussex
Names of parents
Henry & Alice Capron
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
18 Mar 1684, Tillington, Sussex
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
25 Oct 1718 at Midhurst, Sussex by Archdeaconry of Chichester licence dated 23 Oct to Henry Pratt gent. There is a marriage settlement dated 17 Oct 1716 in the Mitford paers at WSRO though I have not seen it.
Occupation(s) - if any
-
Addresses where they lived
Grittenham (farm near Tillington)
Date, place and cause of death
Dec 1758
Date and place of burial.
27 Dec 1758 Tillington, Sussex
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
NK
Memorial inscription - if any
NK

Last edited by Jill; 11-03-20 at 06:56. Reason: burial details added
Old 11-03-20, 07:09

I have been looking at the will of Jane's father Henry Capron, he left £1100 in legacies, a £12 pa annuity to his wife, lands to son & executor Henry and Jane was to have £150.

This will was made in 1703, Henry died in 1704 but his son (also Henry) did not execute the will, I'm struggling with the 1716 Latin probate but I think that it says that probate was granted to his widow Alice alias Agnes because the son Henry the executor had died (he died in 1714).
Old 11-03-20, 11:51

I think it goes something like this:

Decimo die mensis decembris Anno Domini Millesimo Septingentesimo decimo Sexto emanavit Commissio Alicia alias Agneti Capron Vidua Relicata et Legataris nominata in Testamento Henrici Capron Senioris nuper de Tillington in Comitatu Sussexia defuncti habentis &c administrandum bona jura et credita dicti defuncti juxta tenorem et effectum Testamenti ipsius defuncti pro quod Henricus Capron Junior Executor et Legatarius residuarius in eodem Testamento nominat ante Probationem mortem obijt de bene et fideliter administrando eadem ad Sancta die Evangelia Vigore Commissionis Jurat Susanna Capron Vidua Relicat et Administratrix bonorum dicti Henrici Capron Junioris defuncti Literis Administrationis cum dicto Testamento annexo dicti Henrici Capron Senioris defuncti expresse renunicante.

The tenth day of the month of December the Year of our Lord One thousand Seven hundred and sixteen a commission was granted to Alice alias Agnes Capron Widow Relict and Legatee named in the Will of Henry Capron Senior lately of Tillington in the County of Sussex deceased for the administration of the goods rights and credits of the said deceased according to the tenor and effect of the will of the deceased just because Henry Capron Junior Executor and residuary Legatee named in the same Will died before Probate, sworn on the Holy Gospels to well and faithfully administer the same by virtue of a commission, Susanna Capron Widow Relict and Administratrix of the goods of the said Henry Capon Junior deceased having expressly renounced Letters of Administration with the said will annexed of the said Henry Capron Senior deceased.

I don't vouch for the total accuracy of this, but basically after Henry senior died his son Henry died. Henry junior's wife did not want to administer her husband's estate, and it was left to Alice/Agnes wife of Henry senior to administer her husband's will.
Old 11-03-20, 14:47

Thank you so much Elizabeth for taking the time to do this - I'd missed that Susanna was Henry the younger's wife. I'll be sending my will transcript to SFHG as usual and with your permission will add the Latin probate and credit you with this.
Old 11-03-20, 14:59

You're welcome, Jill.
Old 11-03-20, 16:26

Thankyou, I'm going to add some biographical footnotes before I sent it.

Tags
tf6g47