Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-06-18, 14:24

Default French ancestors new online services

Hi , I was wandering if anyone as used the new French online services to trace the ancestors . I have but it's very complicated . Although the pages translate if needed . I have been in search of my husbands grandfathers birth in Paris but have not been able to trace it as yet . If anyone has any tips on the best way to use it I would be interested to hear Thanks Qwackers
Old 17-06-18, 16:01
Administrator

Have you read my reply on your other thread about this, Qwackers? It's hard to help when we don't know which particular French online services you are talking about. If you're looking at the birth records on the Paris Archives website (link below) then you will have to try each arrondissement in turn unless you already know which arrondissement you want. Basically, what you have to do is look in the index first and then when you've found the record in the index, you go to the actual image.

http://archives.paris.fr/s/7/tables-decennales/?

If your husband's grandfather is deceased then you could post up the info that you have and I'll have a try on that website, or if he's still alive, PM me the info.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-06-18, 16:23

Hi , I understand that point , the problem being that I do nor know the naissence of his grandfather or the arondissement as Paris was a big area to search . it would be a mere guess. As he is in the British protectorate of Uganda marrying Leona guillon in 1912 . I spend two months a year in France but have never had the time to search the archives Nationale in person . The reason I started a thread is someone said that this should be a thread in its own right . I can find a few persons with his name in Paris as it is not a common French name for the area , it's very common in the department of Aveyron . But it would be a total guess as which is the right person as I have know idea of his age it would be guess work . All I do know is that Francois marcellin Alcouffe was born in Paris date not known we believe he had a sister who we believe was born there , name similar to obertte and she was a star of stage in Paris .thats all I go on . We know that Francois s father was Gerome Alcouffe as one marriage paper in Uganda . If you can help I would be most grateful . My husbands mother and
Farther are no longer alive and a aunt in Denmark has now passed away so there isn't anyone to ask any more . Thanks
Old 17-06-18, 16:43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
We know that Francois s father was Gerome Alcouffe as one marriage paper in Uganda
The typed image of the marriage entry on FMP says the father's name is Francois Gerome Alcouffe (merchant) rather than just Gerome.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-06-18, 17:10
Administrator

Francois Marcellin Alcouffe was "full age" when he married in 1912, so he was born in or before 1891 (assuming he wasn't lying about his age.)

Okay, I've gone through the naissances (births) for all 20 Paris arrondissements for the period 1883-1892 and only found three Alcouffes: Louise Pauline Eugenie 23 Jul 1892 11th arrondissement, daughter of Jean and Marie; Jeanne Marie 7 Aug 1884 13th arrondissement, daughter of Jean Louis and Marie Rose; Laurent Firmin(?) 18 Sep 1885 13th arrondissement, same parents as for Jeanne Marie.

(The way I did it was to search the naissances tables decennales 1883-1892 for Alcouffe for each arrondissement in turn. When I found an Alcouffe entry, I noted down the date of birth and the arrondissement, then searched the tables alphabetiques for that year and arrondissement to get the registration number, then searched the actes d'etats civils for that number.)

So maybe he was born before 1883, or somewhere near Paris rather than in Paris itself?

Old 17-06-18, 17:38

Yes that could be the case , but we only had my husbands fathers word that he was born in Paris we have no concrete evidence . I will try and search some of the other departments . There was a few alcouffes who emigrated to California . I found them on the passenger lists . From Le Havre but no crossings for Francois . I will keep trying . See what I can come up with . I have always had a feeling that the alcouffes who emigrated may hold the key to the answers it's just a gut feeling . Maybe it's worth a punt ,
Old 17-06-18, 17:48

I also though he would have been enlisted into the French army during the Second World War although he was living in Africa at that time so maybe he has a service record .
Old 17-06-18, 17:55
Administrator

Previous thread about these people:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...light=alcouffe

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-06-18, 19:10
Administrator

I've also checked through the births for 1873-1882 for all arrondissements of Paris with no luck.

Old 17-06-18, 19:32
Administrator

And I've also checked the births for 1893-1902 for all arrondissements of Paris, just in case he was underage when he got married, but again, no sign of him.