Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 07-01-11, 08:48

Default Henry Jones (FMFFF)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as: Henry Jones

Date and place of birth: 27 Feb 1824 in Sheffield (given on baptism entry)

Names of parents: William Jones & Mary Marshall

Date and place of baptism: 28 Mar 1824, St Peter & Paul (Cathedral), Sheffield

Details of each of his or her marriages: 5 May 1844 at All Saints Parish Church, Rotherham, to Ann Cutts. Both listed as minors. Fathers named as William Jones, Brazier & Matthew Cutts, Sawyer.

Occupation(s): Silversmith/School Master/back to Silversmith/Electro Plate Worker. (Ive seen changes in occupation before but not as odd as this one).

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!):
1841: Hanover Street, Ecclesall Bierlow (Sheffield), Silversmith, with parents.
1849-1850: Ravenfield, South Yorkshire (Henry Jones, Teacher, named as an occupant of a particular house in Ravenfield during this year. They had a son born in this village.
1851: Low Street, Warmsworth, Yorkshire. School Master.
1854-1859: Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire. School Master named on trade directories and wills of residents within the village. Another child was born in this village.
1861: Village of Greenhill, Norton, Derbyshire. Certified School Master.
1871: Norton Lees, Norton, Derbyshire. Back to being a Silversmith.
1881: Derbyshire Lane, Norton Woodseats. Electro Plate Worker
Cannot find Henry or his wife Ann on the 1891 so both presumed dead.

Date, place and cause of death: 1st July 1888 at Grindleford Bridge, Eyam Woodlands, Derbyshire. Aged 64, Silver Smith. Died of Congestion of Lungs & Chronic Bronchitis. His death registered by Annie Shipston, Granddaughter of same abode.

Date and place of burial: 5th July 1888 at Norton Cemetery, Derbyshire Lane, Sheffield. Grave G1 11. Buried with wife Ann.

Details of will / administration of their estate: None Known.

Memorial inscription: None.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice on if records are kept at all on people who worked as a school master?

Last edited by BlueSavannah; 28-03-15 at 18:14. Reason: Death/Burial info added. Also extra locations known to be living at.
Old 07-01-11, 09:34
tenterfieldjulie

Maybe Claire when he turned 50, he decided he had enough of teaching and went back to what he loved doing, which was working with silver.
Old 07-01-11, 09:48

Thats an interesting thought, you could be right Julie.

Everything about what my Nan said her about this line has turned out to be a load of rubbish but one thing he told her was that the family 'had schools in Wales'. Now, I have found nothing to suggest they did have schools, or even any links to Wales , but when I saw this occupation for two census', it did stick out to me.

I have no other people in my tree who were involved in schools and it would be lovely to try and find if any records still exist of his time as a school master.
Old 07-01-11, 10:30
tenterfieldjulie

I wonder if there are any apprenticeship records if he trained as a silver smith too?
Old 07-01-11, 11:07

mmm, that would be something to ask the next time I go to Sheffield Archives. I am not sure if they have the records but they should be able to point me in the right direction if they dont.
Old 07-01-11, 11:11
tenterfieldjulie

Yes it could be worth enquiring about. I was surprised that one of my ancestors had an apprenticeship agreement as a blacksmith.
Old 07-01-11, 11:23

I have a curiosty in our family tree - and I wonder if you know anything about her ?

In the 1861 census, in Sheffield, living with my husbands two unmarried g-g aunties, Elizabeth and Charlotte Sanderson, is a "nurse child" Hannah Cutts, aged 3. She is with them again in 1871.

According to freebmd, she was born in the Dec Q of 1857. The only IGI entry is for a daughter of Matthew and Ann Cutts, baptised at Gleadless, Sheffield. THere are several Matthew Cutts baptisms in the IGI and I have not explored further.

But I would be interested to know if she is related to one of your Cutts family.

Di
Old 07-01-11, 13:12

Hi Di

I dont know who Hannah is yet but she could be connected to my tree. I have taken a look at both the census' you mentioned and will look at my tree again. I dont think she is the child you found on the IGI as on the 61 census, there is another Hannah Cutts with her parents; Matthew & Ann, as well as the nurse child Hannah with your Sandersons.

My Matthew and his wife Faith, didnt name any of their children Matthew but they did have a few sons that would be old enough to have a daughter in 1857/8.

If I find a connection, I will send you a message
Old 10-01-11, 13:46
Administrator

I'm sure there is a website which has a historical database of qualified teachers, but I can't find it! I'm sure I once found a couple of my ancestors on it. I had a feeling it was Family Relatives, but I can't see it on there. I've found some info on Google which says British Origins will soon be making the Teachers' Registrations 1870-1948 available online, but it doesn't seem to be on their site yet.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-01-11, 14:02
Administrator

Bother, I just realised what website it is - The Original Record. It has various lists of "trainee schoolmasters" but because you can only search on surname and you have to pay £6 to view an entry, it would be useless if you're looking for a Jones. I found my ancestors on there because they had a very rare surname.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Tags
to3g9