Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Two 5xGreat-Grandparents

Old 16-11-13, 20:12

Default Caleb Edwards

Baptised 2 September 1718, son of Caleb Edwards & Mary nee Rich in Chivelstone, Devon

Married firstly Joan Kendal 11 June 1744, East Portlemouth, Devon, because he had to. Their only child was bp in July 1744 and Joan died ten years later and was buried in East Portlemouth.

Married secondly Susanna Elliot 4 May 1757, East Portlemouth

Died 13 September, of High House, East Portlemouth and buried 16 September 1790. Somewhere I have a photograph of his gravestone.

Although Devon wills were destroyed in WW2, some distant cousin - probably the branch that settled in Australia - was clearly paying a researcher and a transcript survives in which Caleb is described as a gentleman. His grandfather was a blacksmith and Caleb probably made his money through farming and a judicious second marriage. I don't have a transcript of his father's will to hand, but I think it implied that Caleb junior had done very well out of him already and if he or his sons tried to dispute the will they would lose whatever bequest had beeen made.
Old 23-07-14, 20:31

I now have a new (though admittedly poor) photo of his gravestone, which states that he was aged 72. His wife Susanna had her own stone beside him.

Tags
tt5g49