Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 30-08-11, 20:34

I have looked under the West Brom district for birth regs for Harriet. There are no Harriet Baileys but a few Harriet Smith's. There is a Harriet Smith registered in 1849 which I would guess is the most likely one that stands out. I may end up having to buy that cert quoting just Eliza as mother's name.

My gut instinct is that Benjamin Bailey is not the father of Harriet, George or Charles as it doesnt make sense to why he didnt marry Eliza before, unless as you say, Henry was still alive somewhere.

I do hope that we may be able to find baptisms of the children. I wonder if they had children that died and that is why there is a large gap between Mary Ann & Charles.
Old 30-08-11, 23:02
Administrator

Way too many possible Henry Smith deaths, and I can't see a burial on findmypast.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 31-08-11, 06:18

Thanks for checking for a burial. I probably will have to try my luck with that birth cert from 1849 and hope that Eliza Smith/Hales is the mother of Harriet.
Old 31-08-11, 09:52

I am really not sure which Harriet Smith birth reg is actually mine now when I look at her ages given on all census. She could be one of the two registered in 1847

Would anyone know of the local registration office for Oldbury that I could try and contact for advice and if I could try and order the birth cert from them rather than the GRO?
Old 31-08-11, 09:57

mmm....just looked at the Henry Smith deaths on the UK BMD site between 1841 and 1849 and although there are quite a few, there is only one is the sub district of Oldbury...in 1849, though doesnt say which quarter.

When I look on freebmd, there are four under the West Brom district for 1849, one in each quarter

Says Sandwell Register Office so please ignore last question. But, none of the Harriet Smith's said sub district of Oldbury
Old 31-08-11, 10:21
Administrator

Harriet is 2 on the 1851 census so she should be born 1848-9.

Old 31-08-11, 10:31

Her ages all tally up between the 51 and 81 census; all indicate 1848/9c. But from 1891, it changes. She says she is 44 in 1891, 55 in 1901 and 66 in 1911 Her age at death in 1937 is 89 which again gives 1848c.

I found an email address on the Sandwell Register Office website and i've sent them an email to see if they are able to find a registration with the mother's info that I have. I am not hopeful they will look at this without some extortionate fee but its worth a try.
Old 31-08-11, 13:19
Administrator

The age on the 1851 census is most likely to be accurate as she was so young then.

Old 31-08-11, 13:56

I did think that the age on the 51 would be most accurate but wondered why she added years on later lol.

I have had a very quick response from Sandwell saying they have checked their records and cannot find any reg for Harriet and suggested I try Stourbridge as sometimes Oldbury came under Halesowen. I've now sent the email to Dudley Council and will keep fingers crossed again.
Old 01-09-11, 09:26

Email back from Dudley Records Office to say they dont deal with these and referred me to UK BMD or Free BMD (which I had stated in the email that I had already done)

Tags
to4g4