Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 30-05-11, 14:28
Administrator

The date is the date when the will was written, not the baptism date. I don't know why it says christened for some and baptised for the other. Maybe he was checking their baptism certificates to make sure how their names were written, and the first two said "christened" on them and the other "baptised"?
I've sent you a transcription of the court stuff but it's not very interesting.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-05-11, 14:34
maggie_4_7

Yes I realise that now edited my post - thank you for that I was just about to look at it I don't know how you did that so quickly.

I found out what Ebenezer Jackson did deliver letters regarding prisoners and courts funny enough. Which I now read in the last transcription sent.

I know it's only coincidence but this is about the 4th person in OH's family that committed suicide. Two from his father's side and two from his mother's!

Edit:

Found his death reg:

Robert Hoye Mackey
Jul-Aug-Sep 1837
West Ham
Essex
Vol 12 Page 189

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...DDeath&indiv=1

I would not have picked that out until today that's for sure the Mackey bit I knew nothing about it's been obliterated from his decendents names.

I will have to get it that's for sure it will have to wait until pay day though I just sent for a few Scottish ones. Oh how I wish this was Scottish it might have his parents names then.

Sorry Ann has got a bit sidelined on this thread maybe move it to research perhaps because I don't know if Ann is OH's biological ancestor. But I have certainly found out a lot more about the Hoye or should I say Mackey family so its all good.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 30-05-11 at 14:59.
Old 30-05-11, 15:02
maggie_4_7

As Kiterunner pointed out it seemed to be a DIY will so was in some doubt to it's authenticity this is the rest of the will very boring but it is to prove that it's Robert's writing main witness Ebenezer Jackson.

"Appeared personally Edward Pettengill(?) of Woodford in the County of Essex Coach Master and Ebenezer Jackson of the same place Letter Carrier and being sworn to depose the truth jointly and severally made oath as follows and first the said Edward Pattengill for himself saith that he knew and was well acquainted with Robert Hoye for several years before and down to the time of his death and also with his manner and character of handwriting and subscription having often seen him write and write and subscribe his names to writings and having now carefully received(?) and perused the Paper writing hereunto annexed purporting to be and contain the last Will and Testament of the said deceased the said Will beginning thus “In the Name of God Amen this being my last Will and Testament” ending thus “dated this twenty fifth of November 1832” Ann Walliss Mackey or otherwise Ann Wallis Hoye whole & sole Executrix and thus subscribed Robert Hoye testator” and having also observed the word “three” as the said word appears interlined between the ninth and tenth lines of the said Will he this Deponent Edward Pettengill does depose that he verily and in his conscience believes the whole body series and contents of the said Will beginning and ending as aforesaid (save only the names “Ebenezer Jackson” appearing thereon) and the said Names & word “Robert Hoye testator” subscribed thereto and the said word “Three” interlined therein to be all of the Proper handwriting and subscription of the said deceased. And the said Ebenezer Jackson for himself saith that he was present on the 25th day of November 1832 when the said deceased executed his last Will and Testament and deponent now receiving the said Will and particularly observing the obliteration appearing next above the surname of Deponent and the names of the said Deceased as subscribed thereto for himself farther made oath that the said obliteration was caused by the said deceased having subscribed his Names to the said Will before the seal was affixed thereon which names so subscribed by him together with the word “testator” as Deponent best recollects was the word were obliterated by the deceased in the presence of the deponent and the said seal was now appearing on the said Will having been affixed the said Deceased again subscribed his name to the said Will in the presenced of this deponent adding to his signature the word “testator” and the deponent then subscribed his names as attesting the execution of the said Will by the said deceased in manner and form as thereon now appear – Edward Pettengill On the eleventh day of July 1837 the said Edward Pettengill was duly sworn to the truth of this affidavit Before me W E Curteis Surr. Pres .Charles Tibbs Noty. Pubc. E Jackson On Wednesday the 12th day of July 1837 the said Ebenezer Jackson was duly sworn to the truth of this affidavit Before me Herbert Jenner Surr. Prest. Jno Wills Not. Pubc.

Proved at London the 21st July 1837 before the Worshipful William Calverley Curteis Doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the oath of Ann Wallis Hoye otherwise Mackey (in the Will written Ann Wallis Mackey otherwise Ann Wallis Hoye) widow the Relict the sole Executrix to whom admon was granted having been first sworn duly to adminr."

As transcribed by Kiterunner I haven't done much it's all Kiterunner's work.

Edit to say:

I'm tempted to get these too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Also these which may or may not be connected:

Will of Joseph Hoye, Yeoman of Woodford , Essex 11 March 1813

Will of John Hoye, Wheelwright of Woodford , Essex 05 September 1747
Probably not connected but it's not a very common name and also the occupations intrigue me Wheelwright came up a few times and so did Yeoman in some other stuff that I dismissed a long time ago because I couldn't find any connection.

£7 not so much money the amount I've spent on FH doesn't bear thinking about to be honest.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 30-05-11 at 15:18.
Old 30-05-11, 15:45
maggie_4_7

Found a marriage

Richard Hoye and Elizabeth Mackey it so can't be a coincidence William named his third son Richard, maybe Richard isn't Robert's father but he chose him to be I think Robert was certainly born before the marriage.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgPLz0q3dpid

ERRRRR both widow and widower curiosier and curiosier

Edit to say:

A few trees on Ancestry but none of them have Robert listed maybe he was their little secret or Elizabeth's little secret.

When I started this thread I didn't think I would find much information been a bit of a dead end for ages - or that anyone would either but it's been absolutely brilliant still haven't gotten to the bottom of the Hoye/Mackey problem probably never will but at least its a gate that has been unlocked mostly and very much by Kiterunner though rather than me I have to say

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 30-05-11 at 16:29.
Old 30-05-11, 16:12
maggie_4_7

Can you believe it I have just looked at the 1851 census I have for Robert Hoye Junior not looked for a while and it's there staring me in the face but I thought she was named after her mother Ann Pluck's family.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=4677219

Ann Wallis Hoye aged 4 Robert Hoye Junior's daughter!!!

I think Ann must defintely have been Robert's mother. I don't think she was William and Elizabeth's mother somehow though. We seem to have the name Jones in there too.

Edit: I think thats Sarah Jane not Sarah Jones !

hehe I just remembered Elizabeth Williams Hoye's profession ' Letter Receiver' giss' a job sounds easy...

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 30-05-11 at 16:24.
Old 30-05-11, 18:05
Administrator

When the Post Office records finally go online on ancestry, hopefully you'll find a few entries relating to the Hoyes. They seem to be taking a long time to put them online, though.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-06-11, 15:52
maggie_4_7

Here is Ann Wallis Hoye's will

She names William Thomas Hoye as her son in law! and Elizabeth Williams Hoye as his sister so that must mean her step son rather than what we think son in law means today. She names Robert Hoye as her son so it's probably as we suspected Ann isn't William and Elizabeth's mother and Elizabeth Williams Doolittle might be.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=348191

Tags
to3g28