Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-07-23, 10:01
Administrator

Hi Steve, is their son the first of these two (both districts in Herefordshire, so more than one Watkins/Prosser couple!)?

WATKINS, JAMES mmn PROSSER
GRO Reference: 1859 S Quarter in WEOBLEY Volume 06A Page 448

WATKINS, JAMES mmn PROSSER
GRO Reference: 1860 M Quarter in HEREFORD AND DORE Volume 06A Page 496

There's a notice in the Hereford Journal 22 June 1859:

WATKINS - PROSSER June 12th at Berrington Street chapel, by the Rev. R.S. Short, Mr. George Watkins of Wellington to Miss Mary Prosser of the same place.

Very unusual for a young lad to be called Mr.

Wellington is in Hereford district so I wonder if the Q1 1860 is their James?

I'm not convinced about your young groom unless you have some proof I can't see!

There seem to be quite a few potential Prosser/Watkins marriages in Herefordshire so lots of chances for confusion.

I also did a search on the 1861 census for George Watkins (variable spellings) b 1842+/-2 years and married (anywhere in Eng/Wales with any place of birth) and there were none!

EDIT - I couldn't find a James with parents George and Mary in 1861 yet neither of those James's (regs listed above) seem to have died before the census unless they moved to a different district, which would take me too much time to work out. Were you under the impression the child survived?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-07-23, 11:34
Administrator

I've just seen where your info probably came from. I see your George on the 1881 census with older wife Mary and three children b Staunton on Wye, inc James aged 21. Have you found this family in 1871 or 1861? I'm just wondering if any are George's step children?

EDIT they are on the 1871 together with the same eldest two children.

and Oooh, you were right! They are together in 1861 and George says he is 18 and married, which proves FMP's effort at transcribing them must be incorrect (I'm looking on Ancestry now)!!

So, I take it all back lol Also you were right that the Q3 1859 birth is probably their child given S on W is in Weobley district.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-07-23, 11:59

Thanks, Merry.

Yes, an intriguing story. I agree that if the Hereford Journal is correct (perhaps I should order the certificate to verify), he is indeed very young!

I found a Mary Prosser on IGI baptised 06/12/1835 at Byford, which matches Mary. There may be more to come...
Old 09-07-23, 12:01
Administrator

Yes, I'd be very surprised if the marriage certificate shows full age for George.

Old 18-07-23, 08:53

I am not jumping in to the thread - but my John Merrick / wife Constance Prosser - - Merrick from Norton Canon for around 200 years - BUT - Byford is 3 miles from Norton Canon - so if you do go back with Prosser could you let me know please - My G G Grandmother was Mary Ann Merrick born 1852 in Ocle Pychard - came to Garston in 1871 - Ocle Pychard is 15 miles from Byford ... but the Prosser name in Norton Canon / Byford 3 miles apart intrigues me - cheers