Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 04-11-14, 11:04
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vita View Post

Must admit to a lump in the throat when I saw gx3 Sarah signed marriage with her mark.

First time I've come across one in my tree.
Why did it make you feel that way? Vast swathes of my tree is filled with people who couldn't sign their names! I was vaguely surprised when one popped up in the early 20thC, but not the ones before the education act came in (early 1870s?)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-11-14, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Why did it make you feel that way? Vast swathes of my tree is filled with people who couldn't sign their names! I was vaguely surprised when one popped up in the early 20thC, but not the ones before the education act came in (early 1870s?)
I know - I'm a soppy *** aren't I? Suppose it was just seeing it for the first time relating to something personal to me & thinking about ancestors
circumstances etc. That, and wishing I'd made more of my opportunities. Oh, damn now I'm getting morose!
Old 04-11-14, 12:24
Administrator

Some people made their mark even when they could write. If the vicar assumed they wouldn't be literate and said "make your mark here" that is what they did!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-11-14, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Some people made their mark even when they could write. If the vicar assumed they wouldn't be literate and said "make your mark here" that is what they did!
Well, I never knew that - thanks, Merry!

In the interests of accuracy, I should add that Louisa on the 1851 census is the

wife of Richard Jnr,& not the daughter of Richard Snr. Sorry!