Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-09-11, 12:53

Default Edinburgh - help with a will please

Hello, I would be very grateful if anyone can help me find a 1947 Scottish will. As you can see from the following quote, a trip to the Historical Search Room in Edinburgh's Register House will be necessary.

I will of course reimburse any costs.

Please pm me if you can help.

How to find testaments from 1902
From 1902, to search for the will and/or inventory of someone who died in Scotland or someone with Scottish connections who died outwith Scotland, you need to know:

the person's name,
where they lived, and
when they died.
There is an annual index of testaments, the Calendar of Confirmations. From 1901 to 1959 it takes the form of printed or typed volumes and from 1960 it is in the form of microfiche cards. The Calendar covers all of Scotland and gives details of the deceased, their place and date of death, and details of when and where their testament is recorded. The index is available in the Historical Search Room and the Mitchell Library, Glasgow, holds copies up to 1936. From 1985-1996 there is a computer index available in the NAS search rooms.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/wills.asp