Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 05-10-10, 20:54

This may be fanciful, but.............

Was John who was married to Ann the 1st, and listed as a mere mining worker, promoted to Mining Contractor in charge of 80 odd men or whatever it was. He then met Ann the 2nd who was very much younger (power is a heady attraction!) and had an affair which led to him moving in with her, and eventually fathering several more children? Perhaps they did never get married, because so far there are no records to prove this. I do know for certain that John and Ann the 2nd are correct, so did Ann the 1st put him down in 1871 when he was not actually there?
Old 05-10-10, 22:16
Administrator

I've got a couple of men in my tree who appear twice on the same census with different families, so it is possible, but of course with a name like John Jones, it is going to be hard to prove.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-10-10, 12:12
Administrator

The Quarryman's wife seems to still be in Llandwrog in 1881 and she is a widow (can't be 100% but there's one who is a Quarryman's widow, right age).

In any case, did you realise if John Jones was leading a double life, it's 100 miles from Llandwrog to Merthyr. I think they are different Johns as it would probably take him about three days to do the travelling!! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 06-10-10, 13:06
Administrator

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-10-10, 17:48

Hehe Merry, I have just come on and was about to check the distance between locations!!

As Kite says, back to the drawing board and I feel that I can safely discard Ann the 1st. I will just have to keep trying to find John prior to 1871.
Old 07-10-10, 09:46
Administrator

In 1851 there is a boarder in Merthyr callen John Jones b Liverpool 1819 who is unmarried. I can't seem to find a likely candidate in the following census and of course this man might have gone anywhere and may well not be your man, but I did wonder if he is and if yes, then as he wasn't married by the age of 32, the I guess he may well have escaped marriage until he met Ann!? (btw, has your dau considered getting a replacement husband, as it's not right that someone interested in family history should be presented with a son-in-law with these ancestors!)

Oh, his occ in 1851 is 'miner'. I'll see if I can find the ref.....(this is from yesterday!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-10-10, 09:51
Administrator

HO107; Piece: 2459; Folio: 52; Page: 48; GSU roll: 104202-104203.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...=&pid=15481548

Old 07-10-10, 10:05
Administrator

Oooh, not sure what to make of this.....

From your post back at the beginning:

Quote:
1871 25 MOUNT PLEASANT ST. MERTHYR TYDFIL (RG10 5399 113 P.3)
1881 25 MOUNT PLEASANT ST. MERTHYR TYDFIL (RG11 5316 28 P.5)
I was just looking at all the bachelor John Jones in Merthyr in 1861 (a surprisingly large number of unmarried men!) and almost went past this one because of the birthplace......but the occ and address stopped me!

25 Mount Pleasant Street, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire

Thomas Thomas head m 29 haulier b Landovery, Caemarthen (that's the census spelling)
Ann Thomas wife m 28 b LLaneilian, Anglesea
William Thomas son 7 scholar b Dowlais, Glamorganshire
Anne Thomas dau 4 scholar b Dowlais, Glamorganshire
John Jones bro-in-law unm 42 contractor b Llaneilian, Anglesea
Watkin Jones nephew 11 scholar b Dowlais, Glamorganshire

Maybe Thomas Thomas didn't know his wife and bro-in-law were b in different places? Or maybe something else?!!

More investigating needed!!

Oops, here's the ref: RG09 piece 4058 folio 68 page 5

Old 07-10-10, 10:20
Administrator

Hmmm, well I went back to 1841 with trepidation as in 1851 all possibles were servants etc which wasn't helping!!

Disappointingly, if this is the right family we don't suddenly have John Jones b out of County, or any of the other children for that matter, so if they are the right people I wonder why anyone would introduce Liverpool into the equation later?

I guess these are the 1861 people though, but are they your son-in-law's?

Tyn Main, Llaneilian, Anglesey

Thomas Jones 50 copper miner
Elinor Jones 50
Mary Jones 24
John Jones 22 Rop (rope?) Maker
Cathrin Jones 15
Elinor Jones 15
William Jones 11
Ann Jones 9
Elizabeth Jones 7

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...=&pid=12949586

Old 07-10-10, 18:39

Goodness Merry, I didn't realise that you were still delving into this and thank you so much for doing so.

Those findings give massive food for thought, and it seems far too coincidental to find a John Jones, Contractor, at the exact same address as where my wretched son in law's John lived on following censuses with his wife. (I agree with you - why couldn't my daughter have married a Pilkington-Pruneface? It would have been so much easier).

I had been looking into possible previous marriages, given his age, but if what you have found is correct then Ann was his first wife. The Anglesey thing is a puzzle, but one of my brothers lives on Anglesey, so I might be asking a favour of his wife ere long!!

There are even more questions to pursue now........where is the Liverpool connection, and could a miner have become a mining contractor? If only I had that marriage certificate there could be so much more information, but unless I totally ignore the findings of the three Records Offices and just send off for that 1863 one there is nothing else on the horizon!!! Shall I do that. Shall I??? Would you do that?? !!!

Tags
to2g27