Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 02-02-15, 07:33

Default (44) John Stone, Pte 16721 11th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment

44th of the Old boys of St Wilfrid's School, Haywards Heath to die in WW1.

John was born on the 10th August 1897 in Haywards Heath, youngest of the three sons of Richard Gower Stone, bricklayer, and his wife Lucy. Richard had also gone to St Wilfrid’s as a boy and is mentioned in the old logbooks. The family lived at 7 Gower Road.

In 1911 his oldest brother Arthur was an apprentice upholsterer and soon to leave for a new life in Australia, older brother Alfred was an apprentice blacksmith while John was still at school.

Alfred was killed at Givenchy in 1915, then John was killed on 31st Jul 1917 in Belgium and is buried at the New Irish Farm Cemetery grave VI. A. 11.

The Mid Sussex Times published this:

MID SUSSEX TIMES 14 AUG 1917
PRIVATE JOHN STONE KILLED
Mr & Mrs Stone, of 7 Gower Road, have received the sad news, through Lieutenant H Amon, Royal Sussex Regiment, that their youngest son, Private John Stone, has been killed in action. Here is his letter:-

“It is with great regret that I have to inform you of the death of your son, Private J Stone, Royal Sussex Regiment, who was killed in action during the attack on 31st July. Knowing as I do that little I can say can offer you any consolation for your great loss, it is no easy task for me to write you, but I would like you to know that he was one of the best men in his Company. We were all very proud of him, and we all feel his loss very deeply indeed. Please accept my sincerest sympathies with you in your bereavement.”

The young soldier was 20 years of age and an Old Boy of St Wilfrid’s School. He was a carpenter by trade, and worked for the late Mr E J Kent. He joined up shortly after the outbreak of war. This is the second bereavement Mr & Mrs Stone have sustained, their second son, Private Alfred L Stone, having been killed in France in 1915.

His father Richard was paid his effects of £11 3s 1d on 9th January 1918 with a further payment of a War Gratuity of £13 10s on 3rd November 1919.

Last edited by Jill; 02-02-15 at 07:34. Reason: spacing