Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-08-17, 21:38

Seven years on and I have made little progress on details about William Martin.
I thought the new GRO indexes with ages might help me find his death records, but not so far.

However, a death index entry for a 3 year old William Martin, did prove to be his son William Martin. William Martin senior registered the death of the 3 and half year old "child of a carpenter" at 31 Hanover St, the same address as the birth certificates of other sons Robert and James and the same address as the 1841 census entry for the family.

So William Martin senior was alive on 8th November 1842 when he registered his son's death. In 1841 he is recorded as 25, so between 25 and 30.

I compared all the FreeBMD and GRO William Martin deaths in Brighton between 1842 and 1851, and then matched them up with burials - the most likely one was a 37 year old who died in March 1847 - but I am fairly sure its not mine. The death certificate says he was a labourer who died of phthisis and the death was registered by an unrelated Ruth Booker.

So, either one of the ages at death is not correctly transcribed/recorded or William Martin died away from his home in Brighton and is registered in another district. Going to check out who Ruth Booker might be, just in case.

No evidence of a marriage between William Martin and Elizabeth Berwick has been found either.

Tags
to3g5