Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-01-19, 08:34
Administrator

Default Help finding a marriage please

I am looking for the first marriage of Mary Gildart and/or the baptism of her child with him. Here's (probably too much of) what I know already:

Mary Gildart was born about 1730-1738 in an unknown place. Her parents were John Gildart and Elizabeth. From about 1738 she and her siblings were brought up at Alrewas Staffs.

She is mentioned in the 1785 PCC will of her uncle Francis Gildart as Mary Morewood the wife of the Rev John Morewood of Highfield nr Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

I found the marriage of this couple:

12 Dec 1772 St Mary's Islington The Rev John Morewood of Eyam, Derbyshire and Mary Scammell widow otp, by licence. Witnesses Mary Morewood and John Hetherington. Marriage conducted by John Fawcett, curate of Chiswick.

Mary died 1809 at West Hallam Derbyshire and her husband in 1828 at the same place. As far as I know there were no children from this marriage.

However, I know there was at least one child born to Mary from the marriage to Mr Scammell. I don't know when or where this child was born, but her name was Ann Scammell.

Ann Scammell married the Rev John Fawcett b abt 1743 (probably the man who conducted the above marriage!) 16 Sept 1788 at St Mary's Chesterfield, Derbyshire. John was of Milford Hants and John Morewood (Ann's step-father) was a witness to the marriage. John and Ann Fawcett lived at Milford (he had the living there from 1786) where she had three children, the last named Gildart Fawcett. John Fawcett died abroad (West Indies??) in 1795 (can't re-find that at the moment - Gentleman's Magazine?).

Ann was still alive in 1827 as she dealt with the estate of one of her children. She was living at Symondsbury Dorset, but I don't think she died there and after this I lose track of her, so I don't have her age at death which could have been helpful.

So, who was Mr Scammell?

(don't find it too quickly, as I've been looking for ages!! lol)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-01-19, 09:05

Well, no Scammell vicars in the CCED database, save Bartholomew, a generation or two earlier, who named no Scammell relations in his 1715 will.
Old 15-01-19, 09:09

What about Edward Scammel of Compton, Sussex, who leaves a wife Mary and children Edward and Ann? PCC will on Ancestry.
Old 15-01-19, 09:20
Administrator

Ann Scamel baptised 27 Jul 1763 at Compton, Sussex, daughter of Edward and Mary.

Edward Scamel married Mary Banks 15 Jul 1762 at Compton. So only Mary Gildart if she was previously married to a Mr Banks.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-01-19, 10:02
Administrator

For those of you who just saw my posts with the wrong surname, just pretend you didn't!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-01-19, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Ann Scamel baptised 27 Jul 1763 at Compton, Sussex, daughter of Edward and Mary.

Edward Scamel married Mary Banks 15 Jul 1762 at Compton. So only Mary Gildart if she was previously married to a Mr Banks.
It looks suspiciously as if she were a spinster. The marriage is by licence - though I've never worked out if Sussex licences survive - but she does sign, so you could compare signatures.
Old 15-01-19, 11:33

Sussex licences do survive as I have a couple.
Old 15-01-19, 12:02

Is that from the Keep, Elizabeth?

I have lots of ancestors for whom the parish registers are in Chichester, but that record office has never pointed me in the direction of licences.
Old 15-01-19, 12:18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
It looks suspiciously as if she were a spinster. The marriage is by licence - though I've never worked out if Sussex licences survive - but she does sign, so you could compare signatures.
It's unlikely it's her really, though anything is possible. For once Mary is someone with a very distinctive signature (and exactly the same handwriting as her daughter!), but I can't see anywhere that has this marriage as an image

Old 15-01-19, 12:55

Look on Family Search, choose the Sussex Parish Register reference, and click on the icon that looks like a sheet of paper.