Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-06-19, 18:28
Administrator

Oh, that death is her. She was buried 3 Jan 1898

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...nSearchResults

and the address given is 42 Holland St Brixton, which is the same as the 1901 census for Henry and their marriage cert.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-06-19, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Back to Sarah Ann Moyses:

She must have died between Dec 1897 and 1901 as her husband (still at the same address as on the marriage cert) is a widower on the 1901 census:

Henry Harris Head Widower Male 68 1833 Furniture Dealer b Southwark, Surrey, England

Worryingly, the most obvious entry is this one:

Deaths Dec 1897

Harris Sarah Ann 65 Lambeth 1d 293

But that would mean she had died within a few days of her marriage (21 Dec) and there would need to be time to register the death in the same quarter. Still possible though. There are no other likely deaths in Lambeth before 1901, so if that's not her, then she died somewhere else which could make finding her tricky as Harris is such a common name.

Perhaps it was a deathbed marriage? Did her widower leave a will?
Old 01-06-19, 18:47
Administrator

House of Names website says that the surname Moyses originates from Moy in Normandy but I don't know whether that's right:
https://www.houseofnames.com/moyses-family-crest

Other sites say "son of Moses".

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-06-19, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I may be misunderstanding, but why would you need to be rich to make a servant pregnant?
My theory about Sarah and Arthur Sr is just a hunch Merry, but since you asked about my reasoning - its a genealogy wives tale and sometimes truth that the 'young masters' of the manor slept with the female servants. Although just a fabricated story in my head, the idea of the squire's son being intimate with a seemingly non-Christian servant (going by her surname) then shirking his duties and not appearing on the baptism years later just seems to make sense, even though I have no real evidence to back it up. I do know for sure that Arthur Snr did father her child though.
Old 01-06-19, 19:19

I have Moy back to the 1650s in my Norfolk tree. Moys is also an established name in Norfolk. While I have not come across the names being muddled, I could accept Moyses as a variant. Unless you go back to the earliest found usage in an area, it is difficult to guess the original meaning, or if it is genuinely local or foreign.
Old 01-06-19, 19:31
Administrator

Quote:
Although just a fabricated story in my head, the idea of the squire's son being intimate with a seemingly non-Christian servant (going by her surname) then shirking his duties and not appearing on the baptism years later just seems to make sense, even though I have no real evidence to back it up. I do know for sure that Arthur Snr did father her child though.
I think most fathers wouldn't appear on the baptism for an illegitimate child except where the vicar was particularly vigilant. A lot of men from all social classes shirked their duties if they possibly could, but I do accept that the reason (or a good reason why) Arthur sr didn't marry Sarah was because of their social differences.

I don't think we can view Sarah Ann as a non-Christian given that her siblings all seem to have been baptised in the Church of England, whatever her historical background. Have you had a DNA test done to see if you have Jewish DNA?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-06-19, 19:38
Administrator

I couldn't find Sarah's baptism on FreeREG, but it's on FMP (transcription):

First name(s) Sarah Ann
Last name Moyses
Year Of Birth 1831
Birth date ? ? 1831
Baptism year 1831
Baptism date 14 Dec 1831
Abode of Elm Street
Place Wisbech, St Peter
Mother's Given Name Sarah
Father's First Name John
Father occupation cabinet maker

Old 01-06-19, 19:49

Harris is a good Jewish name, cabinet maker is a good Jewish profession, female house servant not a good Jewish profession!

Many Jews happily observed the Christian rituals of baptism, marriage and even burial in order to appear not Jewish. At the same time they quietly carried on with their own religious observances. A foot in both camps never hurts.

OC
Old 01-06-19, 19:58
Administrator

True, but I expect there are plenty of Mr Harrises that are not Jewish!