Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 23-03-18, 14:49

Default Arranging my thoughts with a sigh

Some of you may remember my joyful discovery of Great Aunt Maud Jessie in Paris. The one was got knocked up by the "master's son".

She originally went to Paris sometime after 1912 to meet a man she was going to marry ........ but for reasons unknown, did not marry. All we know of him was that he was in the "Indian Army". Whether that meant he was actually Indian, or in the British Army in India, we don't know, nor why she had to meet him in Paris. But, one of her most treasured possessions was a Princess Mary tin, given to all soldiers in 1914 and we don't where she got that from either.

So, we have found a photo belonging to her, of a man called Ernie Hough. No-one has a clue who this man is, but as soon as I saw it, I wondered ............! There was "something" about him (and yes, I know that is fanciful and probably totally daft).

Anyway, I have found Ernie Hough, (to a very small extent). He is a witness at her cousin's wedding in 1914, but I am sure as I can be, there is no family connection with her, her cousin or her cousin's betrothed.

Is it odd - or significant - to have a photo, nicely kept compared to some of her others, of a man who seems to be just a friend of a cousin? It's unlikely Maud even went to that wedding, we are fairly sure she was in France at the time.

I know I'm probably reading too much into this and there's nothing I can do anyway. I know nothing of this man and so have no possibility of tracing him.

But, dammit, I just can't let it go. I must have looked up literally hundreds of Ernest Houghs - pointlessly! Even if I found the right one, I wouldn't know.

Starting to drive myself bonkers.
Old 23-03-18, 18:40

Ooh, well, I have long treasured a photo which was in my mum's chocolate box which contained only a very few photos, so I assumed it had great significance.

Turned out to be a photo of my father's best man! My mother could not have met this man until her wedding day so I am at a complete loss as to why she had a studio photo of this man. Seems an odd wedding present, even making allowances for the war.

OC
Old 23-03-18, 19:11

Thanks OC, that is (believe it or not) exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear.
Old 23-03-18, 19:17
Administrator

Quote:
He is a witness at her cousin's wedding in 1914
So I don't have to watch England/Netherlands international football match, maybe you could indulge me by giving us the details of the wedding? Do you know where the bride and groom were living in 1911? I was thinking if he was a witness but not a relation then he might have been the best man and would therefore be known to the groom. Also what was the name of the other witness.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-03-18, 20:51

You are a brave woman, Merry!

Ok, the wedding was in Streatham, London on 16/5/1914, between Henry (Harry) Gale, born 1888 Brighton and Alice Maud Amy Mitchell born 1883. The other witness is (I think) Lilian Elsie Liddiard (not so easy to read).
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...iv=1&ml_rpos=3

In 1911, the groom is in Portman Square, working as a Stable Hand.
Class: RG14; Piece: 547

His parents live in Devon, father was long-term military.
Old 23-03-18, 20:59

Alice is not so easy to find. With such a common name, I had trouble pinning down her birth. She was born (according to 1939 register) on 9/6/1883 but there is no birth on GRO that fits. I wondered if she had been married before, even though it says spinster on the marriage.

I wish I could put up a pic of Ernest, but I dont know how now that Photobucket no longer functions.

Last edited by Terri; 23-03-18 at 21:03.
Old 23-03-18, 21:10

I had this (completely unproven) notion that Harry and Ernest would have joined the military at some point, probably WW1 and Ernest may have been killed.

I know, I'm making this up as I go along. From his photo, I would guess him to be around the same age as Harry - from the photographer's logo, I could date the photo almost exactly to 1911.
Old 23-03-18, 21:28

Going to bed now, have a streaming cold. Sorry I put this up after the footie Merry, maybe tomorrow if you are bored, eh?
Old 24-03-18, 10:55
Administrator

Well, as expected I haven't got anywhere! Only thing I wondered was.....

You said Harry Gale was b 1888, but he was b 1889. The 1888 birth has mmn Shierlock, but the 1889 one has Gibbons.

I think having said that, Harry's mother was actually nee Smith and Gibbons/Gibbins was a prev OH. The registrations of the Gale children have a selection of mmns!!

I didn't know whether you had this info already and whether any of it might make a difference to Ernie H being a relative!

Anyway, have to go collect dau and I'm late. Back later.......

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-03-18, 12:17

Sorry Merry, I just quickly grabbed his birth year from memory. I have his birth certificate. He was born 15/7/1889, mother Ellen Smith. Ellen Smith and Gibbins are one and the same. She was the illegitmate daughter of a Smith who then married a Gibbins, who may or may not have been her father.

I have checked (I think) every Hough marriage since 1837 for a match with any name within the family. I checked a couple of possibles, but really there were none that got me even slightly excited. A Hough-Smith connection is the hardest of all, without knowing anything about Ernest Hough.

This Gale family having travelled all over the place - with the father originating in Surrey, mother in Essex and then ending up in Devon - I can't even narrow it down geographically.

My only forlorn hope is that Ernie will turn up again within the family, If he married, maybe, just maybe, Harry Gale was a witness for him. A long shot and relies on on-line parish records becoming available because I'm not buying a hundred marriage certs!

Last edited by Terri; 24-03-18 at 12:30.