Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 12-12-16, 06:38

Default Extract entry of birth - Scotland

Last week my cousin sent me a photo album plus extra photos that they had when their father died. My cousin's mother was my father's sister and she put together a series of albums. This is the last one, and I have them all now

In the album is the extract entry of birth for my grandmother. It has all the usual details, and also on the minister has written "Baptised by me 12th Setp. 1895 John Paton" beneath my grandmother's name. Also, under her parents' names is written their marriage date and place of marriage.

Do you think this was frequently done?
Old 12-12-16, 06:42
Administrator

What do you mean by "extract entry of birth"?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-12-16, 06:51

Merry, it says "Extract Entry of Birth, under the 37th Sect. of 17 and 18 Vict. Cap. 80." at the top as a heading.

Under the boxes (it looks like a normal birth certificate otherwise) it says "Extracted from the Register Bood of Births, for the District of Dumfries in the County of Dumfries, this 10th day of August 1896" with the Registrar's signature.
Old 12-12-16, 07:05

Looking at it, I reckon my great-grandparents asked the baptism details to be added by the minister. The marriage details were entered as a matter of routine as the box asks for Name, surname and rank or profession of father, name, and maiden surname of mother, and date and place of marriage.