Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Two 5xGreat-Grandparents

Old 06-12-13, 16:25

Default William Greenwood

Name - William Greenwood
Date and place of birth - abt 1738
Names of parents - unknown
Date and place of baptism - unknown
Details of each of his or her marriages - 1)possibly Sarah Powney, 6 July 1769, Putney, Surrey
2) Elizabeth Cullimore, 18 May 1790 St Margaret Westminster
Occupation(s) - Victualler
Addresses where they lived
1771-1776ish Kingston upon Thames, Surrey
1794 Vauxhall, Surrey

Date, place and cause of death - Nov 1794, Vauxhall, Surrey
Date and place of burial - 14 Nov 1794, Holy Trinity, Clapham
Details of will / administration of their estate - Bequests to his daughters, Mary Elenor Greenwood, Sarah Olive wife of James Olive and Elizabeth Rose Greenwood.
Memorial inscription - if any

Link to daughter Elizabeth Rose http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...ad.php?t=14809

I only found Elizabeth Rose's baptism last week and haven't had to time to fully investigate this family. I'm hoping that Elizabeth's sisters may have taken in her children on her death! There is a marriage licence on FMP which might have more information, I expect I'll have to fork out £10 and keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Sue from Southend; 10-12-13 at 07:25.
Old 07-12-13, 11:08

I've just found a second marriage for William which I've added above. She died in 1793 and is also buried in Holy Trinty, Clapham.

She was an Elizabeth Cullimore - one of his daughters (Elizabeth Rose) sisters in law (Elizabeth Sadd) married a John Cullimore!

Off to see if I can find the relationship!
Old 07-12-13, 17:02

I Looked up something on Greenwood for someone who wrote into the Beds. Society, you never know there may be a link

Charles Greenwood birth registered in Bedford June quarter of 1885
In 1901 the address was 64 High Street, Wallingford, Berks
John was now 56 still a bank manager
Helen E. now 47 but she now says she was born in Plymouth
There was a Mabel B. Greenwood aged 23, single, born Brixton Surrey
John S.C. Greenwood, aged 20, brewer, single, born Brixton, Surrey
Charles Greenwood aged 15

1891 census of Wallingford, Berkshire, Living at High Street, London County. Bank
John G. Greenwood, head, married aged 46, bank manager, born Devonport, Devon
Helen E. Greenwood, wife, married, aged 37,born, Lambeth, London
Helen L. Greenwood, daughter, single, aged 16, born Lambeth, London
Charles Greenwood, son, single, aged 5, born Bedford
Gertrude R. Taylor, servant, single, aged 20, born Reigate, Surrey
Living next door was a wine merchant called Frederick Pearman from Luton, Beds.

In 1881 the address was 183 High Street, London County Bank, Lewes St Michael, Sussex
John G. Greenwood, head, married, aged 36, clerk at London County Bank, born Devonport, Devon
Helen E. Greenwood, wife, married, aged 27, born Lambeth, Surrey
Helen L. Greenwood, daughter, single, aged 6, scholar, born Lambeth, Surrey
Mabel B. Greenwood, daughter, single, aged 4 born Lambeth, Surrey
John S.C.Greenwood, son aged 10 months born Lambeth, Surrey
Jane Adkins, servant, single, aged 19, born Holborn, Middlesex

In 1871 the address was 25 Vaughan Road, Brixton, Surrey
Living as a lodger with a Henry Gillman
John G. Greenwood, boarder, unmarried, aged 26, bank clerk, born Stoke Damerel, Devon
Daniel W. Greenwood, boarder, unmarried, aged 23, bank clerk, born Stoke Damerel

John G. Greenwood birth registered in Stoke Damerel, Devon in the December quarter of 1844, volume 9, page 450

John George Greenwood marriage registered at Lambeth, Greater London, Surrey in the June quarter of 1872 to Helen Eliza Small, volume 1d, page 419
Old 07-12-13, 17:40

William Greenwood may have been at the Three Goats Head public house, Wandsworth Road.
Old 08-12-13, 11:11

Maryphil - thanks for all the possible info. According to his Will William seems to have died without male heirs so I doubt that these Greenwoods are his direct descendents but worth keeping on the back burner!

Shona - I'm intrigued as to why you think the Three Goats Head pub would have been his rather than any other?

Last edited by Sue from Southend; 08-12-13 at 16:13. Reason: Got my ancestors and descendents muddled up!!
Old 08-12-13, 11:52

Sue - I think that I found a reference to a William Greenwood of the Three Goats Heads on the London Lives website.

The location of the pub at the Nine Elms end of Wandsworth Road would have been in the Vauxhall area.

Last edited by Shona; 08-12-13 at 12:18.
Old 08-12-13, 13:00

Thanks Shona, I had looked at London Lives and missed that article! By using the metaphone option for his first name several other articles come up too, mostly with reference to St Thomas Hospital. I'm not entirely sure whether he was a patient each time or perhaps paying for someone else?

Anyway Three Goats Head tavern is another research avenue!
Old 08-12-13, 13:15

William Greenwood also used the Sun Fire Insurance Office to insure The Three Goats Heads in 1792.

The John Cullimore mentioned earlier (married to William's daughter's sister in law and possibly related to William's second wife!) was the publican at the Elephant and Castle, Vauxhall in 1798 (Insurance records) and his wife mentions it in her will in 1848. My Sarf London geography is appalling - is that the Elephant and Castle or were there many pubs of that name?

Last edited by Sue from Southend; 08-12-13 at 13:20.
Old 09-12-13, 08:30
Administrator

The marriage to Sarah Powney is on FamilySearch with a date of 6 Jul 1769 St Mary, Putney.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-12-13, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
William Greenwood also used the Sun Fire Insurance Office to insure The Three Goats Heads in 1792.

The John Cullimore mentioned earlier (married to William's daughter's sister in law and possibly related to William's second wife!) was the publican at the Elephant and Castle, Vauxhall in 1798 (Insurance records) and his wife mentions it in her will in 1848. My Sarf London geography is appalling - is that the Elephant and Castle or were there many pubs of that name?
Just an opinion, but I would guess that the Elephant and Castle coaching inn/pub located at Newington (now called Elephant and Castle) and the one where John Cullimore was the publican are the same.

The following is pasted together from various bits and bobs turned up by Google.

The first mention of the pub under the name of the Elephant and Castle comes in a document dated 21 March 1765 in which the Manor of Walworth ordered the landlord, Mr Frost, to carry out repairs on this property.

A bill of fares shows that there probably was already a pub on this location about 10 years before that.

Previously the site was occupied by a blacksmith and cutler – the coat of arms of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers features an elephant with a castle/howdah on its back. Ivory was, of course, used to make cutlery handles.

In Georgian times (1816), the building was pulled down and rebuilt in a grander, more fashionable style. In 1898, the building was once more redeveloped. The Elephant and Castle pub was a prominent landmark until 1959 when it was demolished to make way for the redevelopment of the whole area. It had, however, sustained bomb damage in the Second World War.

Shakespeare mentions the Elephant in Twelfth Night. In Act 3 Scene 3, Antonio says: 'In the south suburbs, at the Elephant, is best to lodge.'

Although the play is set in Illyria in the Balkans, Shakespeare often used local London references. The theatres were in nearby Southwark, so this may be an early example of product placement advertising.

Tags
tt5g52