Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-02-17, 09:15
tenterfieldjulie

Wow Merry that is fascinating about Selina and family. It said she died onboard the ship on her way out, but her death is actually recorded in Qld, which may be the procedure of how it is recorded.
What is interesting is that on the Trove newspaper database "the grand old Man" William of Wallumbilla was married and it appears that while he ran the general store she appears to have a boarding house. However, I can't find a marriage in Australia. I really need to look at different variations of names.
Taking a different direction goes back to William's wife Ann. When you look her age at death, she would have been a minor when she married. If this is the case and as he was in the military would there be records online that would give her parents names?
Old 10-02-17, 12:00
Administrator

The marriage cert will be on Scotland's People and that should give both their father's names. (possibly the uncle, Wm, for Wm though!!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-02-17, 12:13
Administrator

Quote:
What is interesting is that on the Trove newspaper database "the grand old Man" William of Wallumbilla was married and it appears that while he ran the general store she appears to have a boarding house.
Is the grand old man the Wm who was married first to Ann McGregor? If he was, then have you looked for anything on his second wife in Australia? I know it doesn't look as if she travelled with him and his daughters, but she does seem to vanish in the UK before the 1881 census, so I wondered if she travelled separately?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-02-17, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
It said she died onboard the ship on her way out, but her death is actually recorded in Qld, which may be the procedure of how it is recorded.
Yes, deaths on board were usually registered at the first port the ship put into after the death.
Old 11-02-17, 00:08
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Merry and Mary.
I have looked for Phoebe Susannah but she doesn't appear in Qld.
When William's probate was settled his wife was named Margaret, but I can't find trace of their marriage.
I did find in 1907 in Qld a marriage of Margaret Pembleton to James Morrison Smith.
William and Margaret may have married and his name mistranscribed.
There was another William Pembleton in Qld at the same time as William Snr and Jnr, this William lived at Mt. Morgan and there is quite a bit about him in Trove.
Only the fact that the Qld death index in 1905 give the names of parents as William Pembleton and Ann Waterball, identifies GOM positively.
Old 17-02-17, 21:23

Nothing at all to do with the family research, but if Deb & Co like social history and steam railways, the Tanfield Railway and Beamish open-air Museum are on the doorstep.
Old 01-03-17, 21:28
tenterfieldjulie

Hi UJ .. Daphne and I visited Beamish in 2014 and it was wonderful. Not sure whether Deb and I can fit it in this time.