Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-09-17, 15:21
Joy Dean

I cannot find any baptisms for the children of Joseph and Caroline nee Sadd, neither have I found a death registration for his wife Caroline nee Barry.

The marriage (hopefully) for Caroline's son Reuben - and presumably Joseph's son - states his father was a sculptor, so that could be the same as carver / stonemason?
Marriage Date: 6 Oct 1878
Marriage Place: St Mary, Lewisham, Lewisham
Old 23-09-17, 15:30
Administrator

Yes, I agree, sculptor = stone mason, esp as he says stone carver in a few places.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-09-17, 15:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Dean View Post
I cannot find any baptisms for the children of Joseph and Caroline nee Sadd, neither have I found a death registration for his wife Caroline nee Barry.
She could have died before the start of civil registration. But surely there are lots of possible death registrations since we don't know where or when she died, nor whether the two Josephs are the same person or not. One of the trees on ancestry has her buried at Faversham, Kent, on the 19th Sep 1834. Have you checked that one out?

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 23-09-17, 16:18
Joy Dean

Thank you, Merry.
Thank you, Kite, I shall check that one out. Some trees are nonsensical ie one gives my Sadd family as having half-siblings, but others make more sense
Old 23-09-17, 16:42
Administrator

Hmm, FMP has a Caroline Smith age 2 buried at Faversham in 1834, so it looks as though we can rule that one out.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 23-09-17, 16:42
Administrator

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...idh=672&cpxt=1

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-09-17, 19:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
In 1804 a Thomas Smith married Catherine Standfast in Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Turns out that marriage was 1704, not 1804
One of the ancestry trees has this couple above as the 2xg-grandparents of JSS b 1808.

Thomas Smith m 1704 Catherine Standfast
son Henry Smith m 1738 Judith Mayo
son Bernard Smith m ??
son Joseph Smith m Mary Ann ?
son Joseph Standfast Smith

all the above in Bristol until Joseph and Mary Ann appear in Kent. I haven't looked for records to back up any of this; just letting you know.

Old 23-09-17, 19:59
Administrator

Thomas Smith (apothecary) who married 1704 has a PCC will proved 15 Dec 1730.

Sadly he doesn't mention a son named Henry!! He says he has four living children with his wife, Katherine - Thomas, Standfast, Bernard and Charity.

He doesn't say those children are minors, but he does say he thinks they are "too young and unsteady to take upon themselves the managements of such parts and shares of my estate". I don't see how that can work with those basic ancestry tree details I mentioned above!

Old 23-09-17, 20:18
Administrator

The above Thomas Smith said he had a son Thomas. There is a PCC will for a Thomas Smith proved 29 Feb 1780. He doesn't mention any children, but does mention a cousin named Thomas Standfast Smith (the one who slit his throat?) and several people who appear to be called Berry (I don't think it's Barry, but of course we don't know that 1833 marriage wasn't actually Berry, not Barry! - could of course be another red herring).

So, if the cousin is a 1st cousin (and we don't know that he is), he should be either the son of Bernard or the son of Standfast - the other two sons of the original Thomas.

Brother Standfast is probably the one whose will was proved 6 Dec 1774. I haven't read it all, but there doesn't seem to be any children mentioned in the first three pages. There was a cousin, George Berry of Taunton.

So, did Bernard Smith grow up and have children. As there is no mention of him being a minor in the will of his father (1730) then he was presumably born close to his parents marriage date (1704). It is therefore unlikely he is the grandfather of JSS b 1808. Maybe there is another generation to fit in, as we have already lost the Henry from the ancestry tree.

Old 23-09-17, 20:26
Administrator

Can I find anything about the correct Bernard Smith???? Nope!