Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-08-13, 04:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBow View Post
How would I find out which paper to search?
I have done a fair bit of Melbourne and Victorian research, although I live in Sydney.

Do you have any idea where in Victoria ? Do you want to PM me any names and details you know ?

This is a link to local papers of Melbourne, with their coverage areas - http://www.newspapers.com.au/melbourne.html.

I could also look at later Electoral Rolls (post 1980), which are on microfiche at the State Library, but I would have to have an idea of which electorate, as they are not indexed. He may be on the Electoral Rolls if he was resident British Citizen in Australia for six months, before the 1984 change (to be Australian Citizen to enrol).

Have you searched for his name in the National Archives of Australia ? He was here only a relatively short time, but there might be something.

Diane
Old 02-08-13, 05:51

Nothing in that Archive, but thanks.

I believe he stayed with a ( now Deceased) relative , certainly to begin with, so prob not on Elec roll, although I don't know the address of that rellie either!
Old 03-08-13, 00:33

Well, I could start with the deceased rellie, if you like. Sometimes the roundabout way does bring some clues.

Di
Old 04-08-13, 11:34

I have access to the Sydney Morning Herald online from 1955 onwards (after Trove). I can have a look to see if it made that paper if you want to tell me the name Jess. I don't know what Vic papers I have access to but can look at them as well.