Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 01-01-14, 08:30
Administrator

Hmmm, I thought the W could be NR and/or the TT could be TH, but trying lots of combinations on fmp address search, including varying the vowels, got me nowhere fast!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-01-14, 08:40

It's odd isn't it - it must be the right Mary but I just wanted to locate the street to be happy she was in the right area, which was mostly around Farringdon station. I'll have to have a look on an old map sometime.
Old 01-01-14, 08:46
Administrator

There's currently a Hewett St next to Shoreditch High St tube station, but that's about a kilometre to the west of Farringdon St and I don't know if the road existed at that time.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-01-14, 08:59

Thanks Merry - that's quite feasible and is very near City Road, although the tick for parish is under St Andrew's I'm sure (on iPhone now).
Old 01-01-14, 09:08
Administrator

There's Hewitt St Shoreditch showing up on FMP address search for 1911. It goes up to number 16, but no one at number 3!! lol

Old 01-01-14, 09:12
Administrator

I think Hewitt St in 1911 is the same street as Hewett Street today as it's off Curtain Road Shoreditch in both cases.

Old 01-01-14, 09:29

Thank you - Eliza Cox was admitted from Eagle Street - they're never in the same place. I've ordered Mary's death cert even though I know it won't have much info as a workhouse death but it has to be her so thanks to everyone I have advanced a bit!
Old 01-01-14, 09:40
Administrator

I should think the painter/printer thing on Henry's death cert is just a mistake made by whoever registered his death if it was done by a workhouse employee.

Old 01-01-14, 09:45

I think so, Merry - I know I couldn't find another candidate for the death cert and there isn't much difference in painter and printer written down. It's actually indexed as Whitley but on the certificate I think is just as likely to be Whittey
Old 01-01-14, 20:43

Aza, I have a similar problem my great grandfather, Can find him on census records, I have his marriage & death cert. Can't find his birth record as many on here know. the only concrete bits I have on him are from 1899 the year of his marriage & onwards. His year of birth differ slightly on census records, & don't match with the age on his death cert. Plus I don't know for sure of were he was born as on census records has his place of birth as Sheffield but lived most of his life in North wales. But from a recent trip back to North Wales to visit family it was suggested that he was actually old than the age stated on his death cert.