Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 30-01-14, 10:54
tenterfieldjulie

Anne lots of people who went to the mining areas weren't miners. There were grocers, carters, publicans to name a few .. The people who had shops, usually made more money than the miners. Often times they also had a dabble at mining. Often the assaying was done in the stores before the assaying offices opened. (There are lots of stories of sweeping the floor after, was quite profitable from the gold dust lol). Julie
Old 30-01-14, 11:01

Trove throws up an article in The Australasian which says in 1892, George Beckingsale was a wine and spirit merchant. A gold mine indeed, of the liquid kind.

Adverts from 1880s papers suggest George was a grocer at that time.

In the 1880s Thomas was a grocer at Daylesford. Thomas death notice in 1914 says he was a chemist by profession.

Last edited by marquette; 30-01-14 at 11:22.
Old 30-01-14, 11:09

Here's an interesting link:
The Mount Alexander Mail of 25 Jul 1914 has an article about Rev Silvester Horne, which is quite lengthy but begins:
"The Rev. C. Silvester Horne, M.P., who died on board a steamer when near Toronto in May last, was a cousin of the late G. Beckingsale, of Castlemaine, and English papers to hand contain lengthy notices of his life and work......."
It goes on to describe that he had been at Niagra and was a well known Congregationalist Preacher. His wife was not with him at the time, but was taking his body back to England

Di
Old 30-01-14, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Who is still unaccounted for, Anne?
Just the daughter Louisa I think. I cannot see any records for her in NZ. Or anything very definite for John, in Trove, at least.
Old 30-01-14, 12:01
Administrator

Louisa Beckingsale marries Thomas Denman Oldham in Victoria, Australia, in 1864. Then Louisa Oldham dies the following year in Victoria, age 26, parents' names Jo Beckingsale and Louisa Horne.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 30-01-14, 12:19
Administrator

Not sure whether you have Selina and the children in 1851?
1851 census
Bridge Street, Evesham, Worcestershire
Selina Beckingsale Head W 38 Grocer employing one assistant Gloucestershire Moreton
John Do Son U 14 Assistant Worcestershire Evesham
George Do Son 12 Scholar Do Evesham
Ann Do Daur 10 Scholar Do Evesham
Henry P(?) Barnett Visitor U 21 Minister of Baptist Chapel Leicestershire Appleby

Old 30-01-14, 12:28
Administrator

There is a John Beckingsale death Oct-Dec 1855 Bromyard registration district. But they didn't put age at death on the death index in those days.

Old 30-01-14, 20:53

Thanks everyone I have just finished work. Silvester Horne was Kenneth Horne (round the Horne, beyond our Ken) father. I know a lot about him. He was my great grandfather's cousin, but it proves we have the right George. That is sad about Louisa. I think that must be a death for John as it is a very unusual name.

They seem to have been an unlucky family.
Old 01-02-14, 12:10

Thanks for your tip about New Zealand Newspapers. I have just found this for Charles.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...AM18970918.2.3 I wonder if they knew his cousin was a wine and spirit merchant when they praised him for labouring for the cause of temperence. I have also found a golden wedding announcement for Henry in 1915 saying he was the son of John Beckingsale of Cheltenham, Good work everone.

Last edited by anne fraser; 02-02-14 at 07:32.
Old 01-02-14, 21:16

I am finding I use the Trove Australian Newspapers and NZ paperspast more and more. If I look at the really local papers, which Trove is uploading now, I can find the local cricket results littered with the family - often cousins playing for different teams in the locality.

Births, engagements, marriages, funerals, golden weddings, concerts, plays, regattas, court cases, sporting victories, farewells, welcome homes, all the little things that fill in the time between the official birth, marriage and death notices.

I love the ones that say "Home papers please copy". Did the English papers have someone who, six months done the track, scanned the Australian papers delivered by sea for these notices ? Or did the Sydney Morning Herald have someone who listed them, weekly ? monthly ? and posted them off to England ?