Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 21-02-22, 18:53

Default form filling

When filling in the search form I fill in the name D O B & Marriage date where it says relation I leave blank and there ref to his regiment I put in royal flying corps but nothing shows. I know his details are in there some where as people on this site have found him and given me links to him but I just wanted to see if I could green anymore information by searching myself.
Old 21-02-22, 20:04
Administrator

Quote:
When filling in the search form
On which site?

From what you say in your last post, you may be entering far too much information. If you enter something that isn't included in the transcription of the record you won't get the record you are searching for. if you let us know which site you were using we may be able to give some more specific advice.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-02-22, 22:21

You can't view this directly on Ancestry, only on FMP.

His service number is 143202 and the records are: "British Royal Air Force, Airmen's Service Records 1912-1939"
Old 22-02-22, 07:36
Administrator

On one of the other threads there's this post about his pre-WW1 service:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...72&postcount=6

(Note that is from FMP too).

It doesn't look as if his WW1 army service record has survived. TheRAF record says he transferred from the army, but doesn't give his army service number, which would be different to the pre-WW1 service number.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-02-22, 18:15

thanks for your replies I am using ancestry
Old 23-02-22, 18:32
Administrator

Okay, so to find the record on Ancestry, you need to go to Search > Card Catalogue (where it says Search right at the top of the screen, next to Trees), type in Airmen in the Title field and click the Search button. You should get two results. Click on the one which says UK, Royal Air Force Airmen Records, 1918-1940. Untick the "Match all terms exactly" box and put in the name and year and place of birth. Click the Search button and you should get 8 results. He is the first one. (Year of birth is shown as 1882 which is why I said untick the exact search box.) But when you click to view, it will only show you the transcription of the record, because the image is on Fold3, as has been explained before.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 24-02-22, 14:15

Thanks again Kiterunner I suspect the reason for his army record not showing is because he left the army before 1911 as he show as working at Bibby's copper works in St Helens.