Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-05-22, 13:50

thanks merry that's great. i can't login on family , find my past , i can on ancestry as my 3rd cousin has i tree on there which i can access but not to search anything else . but you always come up with more . thanks again .
Old 20-05-22, 06:49

Hi merry i know we hit a brick wall. when it came to finding the right marriage for nancy and richard , we came down to two potential ones . nancy hargreaves in prestwich and nancy Guy in Warrington . I haven't a sub for ancestry , but i put nancy guys approx birth in ancestry now i can't see the info , but it does say cheshire births As i was wondering if Nancy Guy came from Bolton or around that area why go and get married at st elphins in warrington ? not to say that it isn't normal as one of my ancestors got married there although not part of that community . i'm just trying to find clues which would help . I'm going to check to see if the witnesses names may help ?
Old 20-05-22, 08:34
Administrator

Post #64 onwards is where you were looking up possible baptisms for Nancy without worrying about her surname! You didn't find anything around Bolton. This could mean - 1) she wasn't born/baptised at Bolton 2) she wasn't baptised at all 3) she wasn't called Nancy at the baptism (most likely some variation of Ann) etc etc.

I don't think you can safely say either of the marriages is the correct one. What if your Nancy was called Ann at her marriage? Or what if the marriage took place somewhere where the record wasn't recorded/got damaged or lost/hasn't been transcribed etc etc?

If one or both of these marriages is not the one, then what happened to the bride(s) called Nancy? Were they known later as Ann? Did they have children? When and where did they die?

Without at least some of the answers you are not going to progress.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-05-22, 09:05

yes i understand. your right . merry i will try and look for those two after their marriages just in case neither of them are our nancy like you said she could have been a ann . i will see if I can glean anymore .
Old 20-05-22, 09:52

I tried putting richard robinson in with spouse ann ,and it didn't come up with any till 1816 .
Old 20-05-22, 10:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
I tried putting richard robinson in with spouse ann ,and it didn't come up with any till 1816 .
On which site?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-05-22, 12:00

I haven't time to read the whole thread, but the 1816 marriage on lan-opc is of a minor, so under 21. Does this rule her in or out on census?

OC
Old 20-05-22, 13:08

i don't think so ,
Old 20-05-22, 13:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
i don't think so ,
Of course it would rule her out, if it's the bride who was a minor! If Nancy/Ann was 20 or under in 1816 she wouldn't match the census records which suggest your Nancy was born about 1787. She would have also managed to pass herself off as a married woman when getting her first two children baptised! If it's the groom who was a minor you would have to ask yourself how likely it is that he was passing himself off as married in 1813 when his first child was baptised.

Having said that, when I look at Lancs OPC for marriages in 1816 between a Richard Robinson and an Ann I get two matches, neither of which involve a minor, so that's confusing me. There is one in 1818 with the bride a minor, but that makes things two years more unlikely!

Old 20-05-22, 13:44
Administrator

And Qwackers - on which site did you find nothing until 1816?