Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 01-08-22, 23:06
Administrator

Will of Samuel Jee senr, staymaker, signed 28 Feb 1767. Probate was granted 29 Apr 1768 to dau "Ann Bray otherwise Jee the wife of Jonathan Bray"

Family mentioned:

daughter Elizabeth Wafforn wife of Richard Wafforn of Birmingham, staymaker
daughter Frances Burnall wife of John Burnall of Birmingham, cordwainer
daughter Ann Jee (who married JB before probate was granted)
daughter Sarah Jee
son Samuel Jee
granddaughter Lucy Marshall (a minor)
daughter Mary Sugar the wife of John Sugar

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-08-22, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Perhaps the staymaker married twice, firstly to Ann Bray 17 Dec 1767 Saint Michael, Coventry and secondly 27 Feb 1792 to Ann Kirby at the same church. You need to discover whether the second marriage was for a widower a widower and find a death for the first Ann.

The first marriage has a marriage allegation mentioning his occ as staymaker.
Thank you again.

The second marriage does not show up in my searches, but what you say makes perfect sense.
Since this Samuel is not my direct ancestor I am concentrating my attention now to the extensive Bray clan, in the hope of finding a clue to the family of JB's wife Elizabeth.

Unless you have another brilliant insight I think we can close this thread. If I come up with anything more promising I will open up a new thread.

I dug into the Bray family mentioned in the Lease and Release document cited by Kiterunner, but so far they have not given me much, and that may be an unproductive rabbit hole. But for the public record, here is what I found about the Brays in Kenilworth.

Thomas Bray m. Elizabeth Olson at St. Michael in 5 Jan 1784
Their son, Thomas, was baptised there on 25 Jan 1785

I think those are the two Thomas Brays named in the document. The reference to William Olson in the document tends to corroborate that connection.

The daughter, Ann Bray, married John Paxford Shaw (b. 1787) on 13 May 1817. The marriage license says she was 23, which is not quite consistent with the dates of the above marriage and baptism. I have not found a record for hers.
(John was a draper in Bedworth, and shows up in various places: a lawsuit and some parliamentary proceedings. Their daughter Sarah married Peter Unger Williams, a coal master and mining engineer who lived at Bedworth Hall).

Another daughter, Sarah Bray, married Josiah Page on 22 Jul 1813 at St. Michael. As a widower he had a second marriage in 1830 to Rebecca Nane, but he died in 1838 and was buried at Bedworth.

A third daughter Elizabeth (a spinster in the document) married William Perkins, a tanner in Kenilworth, on 14 Apr 1821.
Old 02-08-22, 07:32
Administrator

Quote:
I am concentrating my attention now to the extensive Bray clan, in the hope of finding a clue to the family of JB's wife Elizabeth.
We know Elizabeth was supposed aged 21+ on 21 Oct 1803 and was of the parish of St Michael, Coventry. She was buried 21 Dec 1819 age 39.

So, it's very likely she was born about 1780.

There's this baptism:

Elizabeth Bray bap 13 Jan 1780 Saint Michael, Coventry, Warwick, parents William and Mary (Ancestry, no image)

I'm not saying that's her for certain, but the whole family seems to be::

Ann 1775
Sarah 1776 (bur Xmas day 1776 dau of Wm and Mary Bray of Coventry - image FMP))
Elizabeth 1780
William 1781
Mary 1783
John 1785
Thomas 1788

There's a will for a William Bray, butcher, signed 24 Jan 1799 which names one daughter, Ann, and suggests that any other children (not named) are aged under 21. This fits well with the above.

There's no mention of a wife in the will.

There's a burial for Mary Bray 22 Jan 1795 at Stoke, the wife of Wm Bray, from Coventry (Image FMP)

William Bray was bur 27 Jan 1799 at Stoke (Image FMP)

There's a marriage 15 Feb 1774 at Withybrook, Warwickshire:

William Bray of the parish of St Michael in the City of Coventry and Mary Croft(s?) otp married by licence. They both signed. Witnesses Edwards Crofts and Richard Willson.

At the moment I can't find a marriage allegation.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-08-22, 07:43
Administrator

I wondered if Wm Bray, butcher, and Jonathan Bray, butcher, might be brothers. There are tempting baptisms in the 1730s for children of Thomas and Elizabeth Bray of Stoke including a William and a Jonathan, but their child William, bap 1739, was buried in the 1740s. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this couple's son, Jonathan bap 1738, is the same Jonathan who died in 1788, so maybe JB and WB are just more distantly related. Unfortunately, Thomas Bray (father of Jonathan 1739) doesn't seem to have left a will when he died in 1767.

Old 02-08-22, 08:31
Administrator

Actually, Jonathan Bray and William Bray (both butchers) may be half brothers.

Thomas Bray, who died in 1767 aged 75 a farmer and victualler and was buried at Stoke (image FMP), married firstly Elizabeth Green in Feb 1727/8 in Stoke and had several children bap there inc Jonathan 1738 and Wm 1739. As I said before, William died as a child. However, their mother Elizabeth was bur in 1742 at Stoke (wife of Thos, image FMP) and Thomas remarried.

There's a marriage allegation on FMP which gives Thomas's age as 'about 47' in Oct 1744, so the age doesn't match perfectly with his burial, but good enough for the time period! His bride was Mary Vice aged 'about 25' and they were both of the parish of Stoke. The marriage took place in Coventry and is another of those entries for which there only seems to be a transcription. I wonder if the date is wrong as the transcript says 03 Sep 1744 which is before the date on the allegation!

Anyway, Thomas and Mary had four children, the last of them being William bap at Stoke 8 Dec 1751. So perfectly possible he could have been the Willim who married in 1774 and died in 1799.

Old 02-08-22, 09:44
Administrator

With regard to the various marriages with a transcription only - I think it's possible they are from St John the Baptist Coventry. The marriage allegation for Thomas Bray and his second wife, Mary Vice states they should marry either at Stoke or St J the B. There is no record of their marriage at Stoke and the pages for St John the Baptist are in some cases illegible. They are available to view on Ancestry. The page which may include the Bray/Vice marriage showing Mid Aug 1744 through to Jan 1744/5 is mostly illegible, so I'm presuming the transcriptions are from the BTs (I think kiterunner may have already said that!).

Old 02-08-22, 09:51
Administrator

No, when I mentioned PR's being damaged and needing the BT's I was talking about St Michael Coventry, Merry.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-08-22, 10:39
Administrator

OK thanks.

It occurs to me that there could be confusion between records of Coventry Cathedral, dedicated to St Michael, and Stoke parsh church, also dedicated to St Michael, but obvs a separate parish.

Old 02-08-22, 18:15

I like the suggestion that the fathers of Elizabeth and Jonathan were half-brothers and both butchers. That would make Mary Crofts my MMMMMM, Elizabeth Green my MMMFFM, and Thomas both my MMMFFF and my MMMMMF.
It would be very tidy to find a connection between these families and the two Thomas Brays who were part of that contract. Was one of the other 3 children in William's second family named Thomas?
Old 02-08-22, 18:35
Administrator

Quote:
Was one of the other 3 children in William's second family named Thomas?
Do you mean the children of Thomas Bray and Mary Vice? The other three were all girls.

I think Thomas Bray had a son Thomas with his first wife, Elizabeth Green.