Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 06-07-17, 12:54
Administrator

I've been searching around on the internet to try and find out what the various numbers on the IGI entries mean, but with no luck yet:
From the Abraham Gorringe entry: F#: 178143, P#: 918, and O#: 32662.
From the Gabriel Wingrove entry: F#: 178143, P#: 862, and O#: 30860.

Maybe if we could figure it out or find someone who knows, we would know where to look for the full submissions.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 06-07-17, 13:22
Administrator

I found a site which says that F# is film number, P# page number, and O# ordinance number, and that @ = Names and relationships of others stated in source.

So if this is correct, it is film number 178143, which is:
Baptisms for the dead, 1919-1949; heir indexes, 1919-1926, 1950-1953
Authors:
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Hawaii Temple (Main Author)

Registers, v. A, 2 Dec 1919 (includes heir index)

and you can order the microfilm to be sent to your local Family History Centre (click on the microfilm symbol):
https://familysearch.org/search/cata...tory%20Library

FamilySearch are discontinuing their microfilm ordering service on 1st Sep 2017 - the last day for ordering will be 31 Aug 2017. It used to be possible to order a printout of a certain entry from a microfilm but not any more, unfortunately.

Old 06-07-17, 13:45
Administrator

Okay, from googling around some more I found where someone has uploaded some actual images of the IGI listing (although of course it is just an index, and doesn't include all the info you would get from the microfilm entries):

http://www.htracyhall.org/pdf/IRH-Ge...earch-1167.pdf

I browsed through to find a "Rel" name which looked likely to be unique, and found an entry for John Fisher, born about 1768, Pendleton Co, West Virginia, baptised 29 Aug 1936 Slake, rel: Hallie May Belknap Weese (no parents listed). Googling for Hallie May Belknap Weese, I found her obituary from 1970 which says she died aged 83, and was active in the LDS Church.

So, it looks as though the "Rel" in this entry is the person who had their ancestor baptised into the LDS Church, and so I reckon that Mary F L Greaves is likely to be a 20th century descendant or relative (or thought she was) of both Abraham Gorringe and Gabriel Wingrove, and had them baptised into the LDS Church.

Old 06-07-17, 20:35

Searching Ancestry for Mary F. L. Greaves, exactly, returns seven records. Circumstantial evidence would therefore perhaps point to this woman Mary Florence Lloyd Greaves in Salt Lake County, Utah who was born in England:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...00541&ref=acom

Here she is on her son's birth certificate:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti..._b160140-00487

She died at the L.D.S. hospital:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...nSearchResults

I think Kiterunner has probably surmised correctly, Jood, that this woman thought she was related to your Abraham Gorringe and Gabriel Wingrove.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 06-07-17, 21:28
geniebug

Wow - Janet & Kate, you've done a sterling job sleuthing that for me. I hope all the research helps other people with similar problems.

So she was a Lloyd after all.

I could not open the www site in Ancestry as we only have English Ancestry, but am hopeful I can get someone to open it for me.

Thank you again.
Old 06-07-17, 22:32
Administrator

If you go on FamilySearch and choose to search Genealogies, and put in: First names Mary Florence, Last name Lloyd, spouse James William Greaves, you will find several entries for her. But they don't seem to go any further back in her Lloyd line than her father (John Thomas Lloyd or Thomas John Lloyd, married to Lillian Sykes). Probably unlikely to help with tracing your Lloyds.

Old 06-07-17, 22:40
geniebug

Just looked in Family Search and saw the names as you described.

I probably won't ever link them up with my Abraham Gorringe & Ann Lloyd - but at least I know why Mary Florence Lloyd Greaves's name was listed as rel - and that's what I was trying to work out.

Meanwhile back to looking for Abraham Gorringe's parents John & Ann somebody. Don't worry though - thousands of us descendants have been looking beyond that since 1911.

Thanks for your help Kate.
Old 07-07-17, 08:30

Slightly off topic, but when my grandparents lived near Eastbourne, Sussex in the 1960s, there was a Gorringe Valley Road close by. I always though it was a wonderful name, and I've never forgotten it!

I hope you find your elusive Gorringes, Jood.
Old 07-07-17, 12:38
geniebug

Quote:
I hope you find your elusive Gorringes, Jood
I doubt I ever will, Lindsay. One of their children, the only son, left England for Canada, and his name changed to Goring, which was my Nana's maiden name. My dad was trying to do the family history back to front, he'd been told we were related to Lord Goring. There is a reference to a “Lord Goring” who owned an Estate and a Manor House in the village of Goring, Sussex. An older relative showed him three postcards which depicted various parts of the State to verify this. Each carried its own printed caption as follows:
* Highdown Hill above Goring near Worthing looking towards the 7 Sisters and Beremy Head.
* Chanctonbury ring near Worthing.
* Chanctonbury Ring from the Western Pond SOUTHDOWNS.

The relative also told him the family of Goring originally came from Sussex, England. During the reign of Charles II the family was given a grant of land in Canada for “services rendered” against Oliver Cromwell, and they subsequently migrated there. (sounds inmpressive but all talk methinks)

Dad even visited the place but could not find any link. Mind you - that was in the 1980s.

I am guessing that Abraham Gorringe's parents John & Ann ? came from Sussex but cannot substantiate it at this stage - as we don't know who the "Ann" is or where they came from.