Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-07-13, 10:49
tenterfieldjulie

Marg, I really haven't looked properly into your Robert Dawes, but somewhere in the back of my mind I believe that there was a book written on the "Westmoreland" and the convicts that came out on it. I am not sure whether there were a number of voyages, but you might find something if you Google it.. Julie
Old 02-07-13, 11:01
tenterfieldjulie

I found this but there isn't a lot for 1835 it is mostly 1838

Archives Kit Reel [2/8282]

Westmoreland (1) 1835 p.59
Westmoreland (3) 1838 p.75 Memorandum on the families of convicts recommended to be sent to NSW;
List of sons of convicts embarked;
List of military convicts;
Chief Justice's Warrants for Military convicts; and Manifests of Convict Stores laden on board at the Ports of Liverpool and Dublin – showing shippers, packages, quantity, goods, remarks

I'm not sure if what is on the reel will be what you already have from Ancestry? Julie
Old 02-07-13, 11:36
tenterfieldjulie

Marg I am not sure of the relevance, or whether it has been posted, but I found in the NSW Register of Coroner's Inquest at Tambaroora on 21 Dec 1858 that a Robert Dawes was accidentally drowned. This is just prior to Christmas, at a very hot time of year and sadly this is quite a common occurrence. Julie
Often times deaths recorded in Coroner's Inquests are not recorded on the BDM index.

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 02-07-13 at 11:38.
Old 02-07-13, 11:52

Sounds good Julie. Tambaroora is just up the road from Bathurst.

OC...I have seen that on a record somewhere as well. I think it had something to do with the idea that the spouse was not likely to return.

I'll have to have a look.
Old 02-07-13, 12:44
tenterfieldjulie

Well as he was in Bathurst in 1841, it is quite possibly him drowning at Tambaroora in 1858. I wonder if anything from the Coroner's Inquest survived, apart from the index. I know with early inquest reports a lot survived, but there are some black holes. The reports are on the reels of the archives kit, but whether they are also on Ancestry I'm not sure? I looked at a ship's captain who died from laudanum poisoning and they were trying to decide whether it was an accident or suicide. Laudanum was often used in those days as pain relief. Julie
Old 02-07-13, 13:11
tenterfieldjulie

I tried looking on Trove at the Bathurst newspapers unfortunately it goes from the 22nd December the day after to 25th December. There are only 4 pages to each issue and it is very tiny print so at a later date I will have another look. I did think the following item put what happened into perspective ..

Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal (NSW : 1851 - 1904)
Wednesday 22 December 1858
IMPROVEMENT IN THE WEATHER -- Since our last report there has been a decided improvement in the weather. Sunday and Monday kept the world in alarm with a continued series of thunder storms accompanied with showers of rain. Yesterday (Tuesday) however, broke upon the world with a clear sky and gave us that rare pleasure, of late, a day's sunshine. As the ground is now abundantly moist, and the wheat harvest approaching, a few weeks' fine weather would prove a great blessing.

Not only was it hot, but obviously had been steamy and the rivers running a banker, after a lot of rain.
Old 02-07-13, 20:24

Julie....I can only find the same you did on Ancestry.
Old 03-07-13, 01:09
tenterfieldjulie

Yes I will try to get to the library some time today and look at the reel.