Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-03-11, 01:08

Default My Little DAWSON Mystery

I would like to share the mysteries of my Dawson family and see if anyone has any ideas or can help in solving them.

Lately, I have been chasing up the sisters of my Great-grandfather, Samuel Dawson of Rotherhithe.

He had four sisters and four brothers. The brothers were easy enough, two died young, one came to Australia with Samuel and the other stayed in London with their mother. One sister (Laura) married twice, firstly in London and secondly in Australia, to a man called Tracey Dawson who seems to be no relation, hailing from Magherafelt Ireland.

Another (Mary Ann) married twice in London.

The other two have me stumped.

Sophia Dinah Dawson was born in 1827 and lived at home with her parents in 1841 census, but has left home or died before the 1851. Did she marry or die before 1851 ? Samuel and William came to NSW about 1859, so I don't think it likely she migrated on her own.

and

Elizabeth Dawson born 1838, at home in 1841 1851 and 1861, in 1871 she is staying with Laura and husband.
In 1881 census, Elizabeth is visiting at a house in Lambeth, with three seemingly unrelated people.
Adam Dawson, 39 born Tipperary Ireland, married retired chemist.
Rose Wyatt, age 17, visitor, maker of underclothes, born Great Marlow Bucks,
Harriott M Philips, age 77 widow, no occupation, born Hammersmith Middlesex.

After 1881 Elizabeth is nowhere to be found. Nor the mysterious married Adam Dawson. I cannot see that he is related to the Rotherhithe Dawsons, unless its three generations back. Rose Wyatt is back with her parents in 1891.

Diane

Last edited by marquette; 15-03-11 at 01:13. Reason: spelling
Old 15-03-11, 14:27
Administrator

I tried, but other than Adam Dawson not being back in Ireland for the 1901 Irish census, I didn't see anything to help.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-03-11, 03:53

Thanks for looking Merry.

At least I know I have not missed something obvious.

Di