Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-12-14, 18:21

Hello Merry
BTW, I've never known anyone who spelled it Merry. Unique.
Those two, Philip and his son Samuel, which you just posted. Those dates would seem to be correct. It would make them, at their deaths, 82 and 74 respectively which is not too shabby. Curiously, they seem to have similar life spans to ourselves.
I have been poring over the Dod stuff for a few days now and, and to be honest, I am stuck. And confused by the sheer number of Dod's and dates. I can't get past Philips father William. His birth in Nov 1733 Tilston seems the only one that more or less meets the criteria. If correct, his father was also a William Dod and we do know that one “William Senior Dod” d. 12 Sept 1773 at Tilston. So unless I can find a better father for Philip than this William, I guess I'll stick with him. However, you raised a good point regarding Philips mother. When she and William married (18 Nov 1765) this Mary Lewis would have been only 15 years old.(b. 16 Apr 1750, parents Thomas and Jane Lewis of and at Malpas.) Now, that's not impossible but it does seem darned young, especially when he husband would have been about 32. Unfortunately, no other Mary's seem to be in a more reasonable age range, so there's me stuck.

I have a separate question for you, if I may. I am primarily using Family Search, supplemented with bits and pieces I pull off the Web. In one of your earlier posts you mentioned fmp which I took to be Find My Past. So I went and signed up and maybe I'll get something there. Are there other sites you would suggest mining?
Regards Merry.
Colin